what is this?

I found this in a friends basement he was cleaning out and am trying to find out what it is.

It looks sort of like a key and has a moveable dial on the side that register 1/2 a degree with each turn of the shaft stickiing out of the end. the dial on the front can be rotated to a new postion to use as a reference point. markings on front are LS Starrett Athol Mass USA pat april 13 1897 pat mar 28 1905

I did a google search and came up empty

thanks; Jimmy

Reply to
Jim & Sharon

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

mike thats it!!! but what is it for?

jimmy

Reply to
Jim & Sharon

Mike

Mike got it right. It is a speed gauge. There was one back on the farm and we used it once or twice to check the fan speed on a combine (The fan that separates chaff from grain). Later, grandpa went and bought a similar device with a rubber tip and a large dial that read in RPMs. Switched as his eyes were going bad and had a hard time reading the first gauge.

Kevin

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:54:15 -0600, Jim & Sharon wrote (in article ):

Hee, hee, I'll jump in ;^)

RPM gauge ( I have one) You press the head against a rotating shaft and feel the bump on the dial pass under your thumb as it rotates. WIth the help of a second handed watch, you can get a close idea of teh shaft RPM.

-BR

Reply to
Bruce