What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hi,
I picked up a couple of wooden hand planes over the wknd. I can figure out what most of them were use for except this one.
It has a built in fence so the plane runs along one end of a piece of wood. It cuts a 1/4" rabbit. The next 1/4" is left untouched followed by a 1/2" dado. Both the dado and rabbit are about 1/2" deep.
So when I tested the plane out it cut a 1/4" rabbet and a 1/2 dado spaced 1/4" apart.
Any idea what the plane was used for?
Thanks
Alex
snipped-for-privacy@rbc.com wrote:

Hi Alex,
sounds like a tongue plane, like in 'tongue and groove'. Here's an example from a German collector's site:
http://www.altes-handwerkzeug.de/museum/hobel/nut/1533u5.html
Wolfgang
--
"Holzbearbeitung mit Handwerkzeugen": http://www.holzwerken.de
Forum Handwerkzeuge:

It would, on 3/4 stock.
On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:01:52 -0700, alex.colic opined:

You'd use it on stock less than 1" thick. You'd let one edge of one blade hang over the stock. That way, exact stock thickness doesn't matter to the tongue-cutting process. It would matter on the floor later, of course.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Plane so that 1/4" side is always on the bottom, then plane the floor flat after the boards are laid?
Hi,
you were all correct. It is a tongue plane.
Not sure what I am going to do with it since I don't have he 'groove' portion of the pair.
Alex