What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hi,

I picked up a couple of wooden hand planes over the wknd. I can figure out what most of them were use for except this one.

It has a built in fence so the plane runs along one end of a piece of wood. It cuts a 1/4" rabbit. The next 1/4" is left untouched followed by a 1/2" dado. Both the dado and rabbit are about 1/2" deep.

So when I tested the plane out it cut a 1/4" rabbet and a 1/2 dado spaced 1/4" apart.

Any idea what the plane was used for?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex.colic

Hi Alex,

sounds like a tongue plane, like in 'tongue and groove'. Here's an example from a German collector's site:

Wolfgang Jordan

Hmm could be I'll check but I'm thrown off by the fact it makes two different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

Alex

Reply to
alex.colic

It would, on 3/4 stock.

Reply to
George

You'd use it on stock less than 1" thick. You'd let one edge of one blade hang over the stock. That way, exact stock thickness doesn't matter to the tongue-cutting process. It would matter on the floor later, of course.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Plane so that 1/4" side is always on the bottom, then plane the floor flat after the boards are laid?

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Hi,

you were all correct. It is a tongue plane.

Not sure what I am going to do with it since I don't have he 'groove' portion of the pair.

Alex

Reply to
alex.colic