What is the size at which free-floating panels are needed?

I'm not liking the floating panels for the sides / top & bottom of my most recent project, an archery case which is 34.5" x 10.5" x 3.5" (closed), made of red oak craft boards and 1/8" plywood --- could I glue them in place, creating more volume by putting the 1/8" plywood in rabbets rather than grooves? I was thinking I'd cut veneer into fourths diagonally so that the grain of each quarter followed the side piece it was attached to and glue that to the plywood and sides covering the seam of the rabbets.
Or is this case too large to not use free-floating panels?
William
Add pictures here
✖
If you are using ply for the facings, you don't need floating panels.
On 2/20/2012 9:25 PM, William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 10:18 pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Glad to hear that. Obviously time to work on a new design.
William
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/20/2012 8:25 PM, William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) wrote:

Yes you can however screws are commonly used also. Consider clear silicone sealer also to adhere the panels into the rabbets.
Add pictures here
✖