What is the name for this joint?

I want to build a small box with the sides joined at a 45 degree angle. Then I want to cut 2 slots in each corner and insert a piece of 1/8" thick contrasting wood perpendicular to the rise of the corner. I have seen this done in frames and in boxes but I don't know what the name of this type of joint is, if there is one. I wanted to search for ways to best do it.
Thanks, -Jim
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
jtpr wrote:

Thank you.
-- -Jim
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Splined miter ... I assume it's called the same thing regardless of the orientation of the spline.

Stephen M wrote:

if you angle the splines I've heard it referred to as feathered mitered corners
charlie b
I think it's commonly called a "keyed miter joint". A splined miter has the spline running parallel to the mitered edges.
--
Kevin
-=#=-
Kevin Singleton wrote:

OK folks, look at the back shipping cover of FWW # 173. Shop Tips section deals with keys.
A spline is still parallel to me. Anyone know of any standard work which defines it otherwise?