What is the name for this joint?

I want to build a small box with the sides joined at a 45 degree angle. Then I want to cut 2 slots in each corner and insert a piece of 1/8" thick contrasting wood perpendicular to the rise of the corner. I have seen this done in frames and in boxes but I don't know what the name of this type of joint is, if there is one. I wanted to search for ways to best do it.

Thanks,

-Jim ©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Reply to
jtpr

Splined miter joint

Reply to
BruceR

Splined miter ... I assume it's called the same thing regardless of the orientation of the spline.

Reply to
Stephen M

Thank you.

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

Reply to
jtpr

if you angle the splines I've heard it referred to as feathered mitered corners

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I think it's commonly called a "keyed miter joint". A splined miter has the spline running parallel to the mitered edges.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

It's my impression also that a spline runs parallel to the joint. Keys of various sorts running at right angles to the joint aren't true splines.

bob g.

Kev> I think it's commonly called a "keyed miter joint". A splined miter has the

Reply to
Robert Galloway

OK folks, look at the back shipping cover of FWW # 173. Shop Tips section deals with keys.

A spline is still parallel to me. Anyone know of any standard work which defines it otherwise?

Reply to
George