What is the HP for this motor?

Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120 A 7.9

1725 RPM HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

Comparing it to the specs of other motors, I'd have to put this motor at roughly 1/2 HP.

todd

Reply to
todd

=======> To convert from watts to horsepower, multiply by 0.00134. The HP w0486 or: .65 hp.

Leif

Reply to
Leif Thorvaldson

Efficiencies can vary, but is roughly 11a/hp. Old ones tend to be less efficient; so somewhat over 1/2hp.

Reply to
Toller

And yet another way of estimating the motor power:

Rated Input power is 120v * 7.9a = 940 watts (an estimation since this is an AC inductive load)

Assume 50% efficiency ( to account for mechanical and electrical inefficiencies, power factor, etc.) => 940 * .50 = 470 output watts. (pretty good match for the 'w0486' HP entry assuming the 486 is the motor power stated in watts)

HP (est) = 470/746 = .63

So we are in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP range.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Or, in Craftsman terms, Maximum developed horsepower is 2.

Reply to
George

LOL!!! At least!

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

Thanks a lot everyone.

Alex

Reply to
alex

Which, after accounting for losses, is 1/2 HP.

Reply to
Pop`

Which, after accounting for the "Craftsman label" , is about 1/4 HP. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Don't you mean 6???

Bob the Tomato