What is the general concensus on Hitachi power tools?

I'm looking at a 10"compound miter saw on Amazon for 169. Yay or Nay?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bennett

I don't have any Hitachi tools, but I seem to hear good things about their cordless drill/drivers and their routers. However, like most brands, having a good tool in one category is no guarantee of a good tool in another, so I'd be careful unless I heard from someone that they specifically like the CMS.

todd

Reply to
todd

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looks aside, I used a pretty old Hitachi slider a while back, and aside from it only using a regular 7.25" blade, there was nothing wrong with it's performance. If you can deal with the looks of it, it's likely to be perfectly functional- I've used a ton of CMS saws, and to tell you the truth, I can't see much difference in any of them unless they are damaged in some way. As long as the fence is square, you have a good blade, and you can put the blade on your mark, they're all pretty much the same- even way down into the cheap side of the scale. So if $169 is what you've got in the budget, you may as well go for it- the same can't be said for a lot of tools, but CMSs are pretty forgiving.

Reply to
Prometheus

Dunno shit about their current crop of choppers, but the old ones were great! I just love their 3 1/4HP routers.I use them hand-held and can't seem to break them. I have a great deal of confidence in Hitachi's powertools. ...but..but... they're some frickin' ugly these days...

Buy Hitachi with confidence.

Reply to
Robatoy

If the price is right - you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Teamcasa

Their small tools seem to be quite good. I have a Hitachi belt sander, planer (hand held), and jigsaw. All work well. At work, we have a Hitachi CNC horizontal mill. The newest machine in the shop. It also breaks down the most.

Reply to
CW

Wow, I have seen other people's Hitchi drill batteries go bad. I like some of their other tools, they make or made a nice laminate trimmer, I believe it's model TR7, so I bought a cordless 12 volt drill. It's 2 years old and one of the batteries is not taking a charge too well. NIMH batteries are the way to go, like the ones Makita offers.

Reply to
edswoods.1

I have their 12 inch CMS and I like it though I have not owned another brand. I got it when Amazon was blowing them out for $179 and it has the LCD for bevel/miter angle. Hitachi does have a five year warranty. It is made in China but every CMS I have seen from anyone lately is made in China or Taiwan. If you live near a Lowes stop in and check one out. I would probably considerone if I was in the market for a 10 inch CMS or the Porter Cable dual laser or Rigid miter saw that is in about the same price range. In general Hitachi saws seem to have a good reputation and are powerful. I see that HD has recon Rigids right now for $129 though I am not sure what shipping costs would be. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Interesting.

A year ago it was $149, made in Singapore, and considered a pretty decent device.

Today, understand it comes from China.

No clue about today's device.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I haven't bought any tools recently that required me to compare hitachi against. I suppose my SCMS purchase would have qualified but I went with the Makita based on numerous feedbacks. In any case, I have a hard time looking at a tool that they purposely make to look like something out of Alien. That tells me they're more about marketing than performance. I know that sounds silly but that's just me. Until they get rid of their hideous looks, I won't bother. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The tennis show look is fairly recent. A lot of what is in stores is the old green like mine.

Reply to
CW

I'm gonna echo the replies you've already gotten from other posters about how ugly the new Hitachi/Adidas tools/shoes are.

But I'm gonna add this warning:

If you bring that saw to a jobsite, even a Habitat for Humanity site, it is quite possible that your co-workers will literally just beat the shit out of you.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Wow. I thought I was the only one that felt that way (I also like CW's label--tennis shoe look).

Every time I see one of those ugly bastids I just want to scream, but I know no one will hear me.

What's funnier, as if there was any reason I'd ever consider a B&D tool, they aren't far off in the tennis shoe appearance, either.

Reply to
LRod

Maybe you are seeing a bunch of old stuff sitting on the shelves. In Houston there is seldom seen a Hitachi Tool with the plain green color anymore.

Reply to
Leon

In Houston we saw the B&D start this trend long before Hitachi.

Reply to
Leon

I had the slider until recently and often wish I still did. Hitachi CS and SCMS have had a stellar reputation for many years now, and, IMO, deservedly so.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yes, they did. I was just adding another marque to the list, not chronicling the chronology (wow, there's some alliteration--five letters deep!).

Reply to
LRod

You know, some people are attracted to the oversized chrome wheels, neon lighting under the vehicle, fake chrome spare tire covers, sub woofers that test bolt torque, spot welds and metal flex. I think B&D and Hitachi are aiming at the same people. :~)

Reply to
Leon