What is the cost for adding an Electrical Outlet

The OP wrote "When I called ... I could've sworn they said about $90".

Note the following: a) It's an estimate, not a quote. b) It was made over the phone, *without* seeing the job. c) The OP has not provided *any* details. d) The figure is approximate. That's what "about" means. e) The OP seems to have some uncertainty over the amount of the estimate he was given. ("... I could've sworn...")

And it was 30 minutes, not 20.

And how can you say it's outrageous? You don't know anything about the situation, other than the numbers. You have _no_basis_ for saying that it's a ripoff, a good deal, or anything else.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Certainly what you say is correct. But my wife's friends have asked me the same question several times; they had some work done, the price was higher than they were told, and they want to know if it is fair. Most women (and many men as well) can't stand confrontation and would just take the bill without asking. Besides, they wouldn't understand the electrician's explanation anyhow. (It is usually on auto repair, which I don't know much more about than they do...)

But, if he quoted $90 and actually did the job in 20 minutes (two big IFs admittedly) than there is probably no explanation for the $160.

Reply to
toller

I vote for outrageous. It took 20 min so we know there wasn't any oddball things here, it was a straight case. Who cares how far this guy had to travel? He factored that into the original estimate.

You got jammed, don't ever call him again. But more importantly, I hope you watched him so you can do the next one yourself. It really is a very simple job most of the time.

Reply to
jtpr

Ok, I know some people have real difficulty asking for an explanation. But when it happens often enough, the time comes when they have to overcome that hesitation one way or another. Suggestion for people with that difficulty is to have a friend on hand or have prepared questions written down. Another way to look at it is not as confrontation, but as a learning experience. The failure to learn will come next time something similar happens and an explanation is not requested. Can't suggest anything else.

Reply to
Upscale

:) I'd bet you a case of beer the electrician has an explanation for the charges.

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

No you can't. Space station trumps nuclear reactor.

-j

Manomanoman.

A troll-feeding-frenzy ensues. Hilarity notwithstanding.

160 smackers? For a single outlet?

Rich for Mayberry RFD...cheap for Toronto.

It does remind me of the type of questions I get sometimes. Often in total earnest: "How much for a counter top?"

I have answered, albeit seldom: "About the same as a car repair!"

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

What??

You don't do psychic estimates??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

ing.

For Dallas - guy who added a 220 / 30 breaker and line/box/plug in my garage got $110 - seemed reasonable to me as the breaker was 1/3 of that. He ran 15' of conduit cable and wired a box and a female plug, left me the male plug to wire myself. He even let me watch!. The second 220 line (for DC), I did myself, cause now I had a clue.

Reply to
Tom Banes

I had a new 220 outlet installed 5 feet from the breaker, and it was more than $200 (as SWMBO recalls). He had to install a plug as well. So $160 doesn't seem outrageous.

Are you saying that an over-the-phone estimate is as accurate as an on-site quote?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

An honest business person would say "I thought is was a normal situation. This is different for the following reasons and will cost more" That gives the buyer a chance to decide BEFORE the work is done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:26:58 -0400, the opaque "Lee Michaels" spake:

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True; but what abnormal situation could boost the price by $90, but still let him finish in 20 minutes?

Reply to
toller

I think they are looking to hear " Obviously it depends on the nature of the damage, but fender repair is typically in the 100/1000/10000 ballpark." Yes, there is the risk they will take whatever you say as a quote (as the OP might have), but they haven't any idea what repairs go for, and just want to know what they are getting into.

Reply to
toller

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:47:15 -0400, the opaque Robatoy spake:

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, it's a good 'un.

Reply to
LRod

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

Engval is the originator of that routine. Quite funny.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:25:34 -0400, the opaque Robatoy spake:

I love it!

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I visited some friends of mine near St Louis. They live in a subdivision, tucked away in a semi developed area. I had printed out the limited directions that Expedia had given me, but found a major landmark (Krispy Kreme) and found my way from there. Upon arrival, the host asked: "Did you find it okay?" I couldn't help myself: "No, I was banging on some random f***kin' doors and as luck would have it one of them happened to be yours!" "Here's your sign!"

Reply to
Robatoy