What is the catch?

OK they got my interest but I don't believe it. What is the catch to the Ridgid Lifetime warranty on tools including batteries?

try and make good on this lifetime deal?

Reply to
RayV

It's legit and has been around for a while.

Reply to
Leon

you've bought. Also, some of their tools are larger/heavier than the equivalent competitor.

For instance, I was tempted by their cordless impact driver, but the main body is quite a bit longer than their competitors, and is not available in Li-ion.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

This one appears to be different as it is a "Lifetime Service Agreement" and only commences after the 3 year "limited warranty" expires.

IIRC, the old one was a "lifetime warranty", but only covered defects in material and manufacturing?

Looks good ... but looks are deceiving. I get suspicious whether specifically stating that it is not a "warranty" is meant to dodge State warranty laws, some of which may not apply to "service agreements"?

And, if it's too good to be true ...

Sure looks good, though!

Reply to
Swingman

Some time in 2005 or maybe 2006 magazine ads were indicating that if you bought a Ridged worm drive circle saw that at so many hours you could take the unit in and have the oil changed out for free. So many hours later you have the brushes replaced and so on, for as long as you own the tool. Free battery replacements for life have been around also for several years.

3 or 4 years ago I called and talked to a rep and the warranty/service agreement is good. They advised to shoot a premanent copy of the receipt to prove when the tool was purchased to validate which warranty you are entitled to. Old receipts fade out with time. I guess the problem with my passing on the drill was looking at was the the drill I was interested in weighed too much.
Reply to
Leon

There is no catch, it really covers all the things they say it does and they've been doing it for quite some time.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Reply to
Mike Berger

On Apr 11, 1:20 pm, Mike Berger wrote: The catch is that they're Ridgid tools. If you like 'em, fine. Craftsman offered a lifetime warranty too.

Ray replied:

Yeah and the craftsman warranty is all but worthless. Last time I was in Sears and asked about it the old-timer explained after looking over his shoulder that they are encouraged to say the tool was abused and not exchange it. Pity, Craftsman used to make decent mechanics tools in the day...

I guess gone are the days of that barrel full of cracked sockets and bent screwdrivers that was in every Sears store.

Reply to
RayV

Sounds like a disgruntled employee. At my local Sears they see me with a broken tool and ask me to hand it to them and point me towards the new ones. The hand tool warranty is much different than the power tool warranty with the same name.

Reply to
Leon