What is the best way to stain/protect a pine door (with kids!) ?

Hi all

I have got 2 doors made from pine. They are made from lengths of pine and then a thin veneer of pine has been stuck onto the outside of the door giving the appearance of a door that is a single piece pine door (which of course it isnt)

My wife wants me to stain it an antique pine colour with a satin finish. I though of using an oil based stain, but the instructions on the door state that wax/oil based finishes should not be used as they will result in the glue-joins under the veneer showing through.

I am a part time DIY guy and am looking for the best stuff for the job (we have kids so it would need to be pretty durable). I thought of Ronseal Diamond Hard Coloured Varnish.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Harry

Reply to