What is proper proceedure to reinstall arbor and new bearings into jet table saw?

Other threads have detailed my journey to get rid of some vibration in my saw caused by pulleys and trying to get to a link belt system.

Quick summary:

Motor pulley of cast aluminum with too large of a BOLT in the keyway. Resolved with a proper set screw.

Bought a V-Link belt, it would not track in the pulleys, changed to a simple replacement belt. This belt still had pretty bad vibration.

Chnaged to a micro v belt, substantial improvment in vibration, but still too much. Items at end of table and 52" of fence shake 1/4" or more.

Tried removal of arbor pulley. Would not budge. Contacted Jet tech support that indicated there is only 1 keyway it would come off.

2 hours of extreme persusion with a 3' prybar resulted in a shattered cast aluminum pulley from the arbor, and evidence the pulley had wallowed a bit and torqued into the keyway.

Took a trip to the bearing store. Find out the arbor is machined by Jet to some goofy metric size. Jet is unwilling to advise the size as it is a replacement part, rep couldn't tell me if Jet replacement pulley was machined.

Last night I _removed_ the arbor and it's bearings. Both bearings felt extremely gritty in revoltion. One "calmed down" after a few dozen revolutions and is probably pretty good. But the other bearing is still gritty and I suspect adds to the vibration right at the blade flange.

I have done some extensive searching on line for machined pulleys. Sent off a couple of emails, so perhaps will get an answer on Monday about the funny arbor size (.581). The local bearing shop is going to see about reaming out a half inch (1/2") machined pulley to the proper size and cutting the keyway back in.

END OF SUMMARY

What is the proper proceedure for reinstall of the bearings and the arbor? I assume I tap the bearings into the trunion first, then tap the arbor through? Thought I would put the arbor in the freezer over night to make is slightly small for the easiest installation.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

How much have you bent the shaft doing this? Gear pullers are the only way to do this without risking damage.

Sounds like a 13 mm shaft.

The local bearing shop is going to

Usually the bearings fit easily into the trunion after they are placed on the shaft. I place them on the shaft and then with short lengths of pipe whose ID is just larger than the shaft press the bearings on with an arbor press.

Thought I would put the arbor in the freezer over

Better to use liquid nitrogen or carbon dioxide, either dry ice or from a fire extinguisher. Going from 70F to 0F will reduce a 0.581 shaft's diameter by somewhere around 0.0004 to 0.0006 inch, not a lot.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Equally I hope, as I made rotations of the pulley as I exerted the force required. Perhaps I could have gotten a small pulley puller in there after tilting of the trunion to 45 degrees. If Jet has indicated a puller was needed I would have given it more caution. It SHOULD slide on and off just as it does on the motor, but it had jammed up on the keyway.

No, it's 14.75mm according to the machinist's micrometer. Why Jet turns down a 5/6" shaft is just stupid. They sell an $18.00 part wooppee.. Gonna make em rich!

One bearing is on the shaft, the other has to go in the opposite side of the trunion and will not go on the shaft until the shaft is insteared into the first trunion. It will take some work I think to be able to press the shaft through that bearing as well. Only a snap ring will retain the bearing against the pressure of the shaft insertion.

Will consider the dry ice if necessary. A few 10 thousands might be all that is needed.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W