What is Max Width for a Rail & Stile cabinet Door

Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and Stile type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22

5/8" to 21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2. Is this a good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?
Reply to
BD

Really a matter of taste, and often location.

On pantries and tall cabinets I will almost always use one door. With cabinets with openings closer to/or over 24", I'll go with two doors on both uppers and lowers.

Two doors are usually much more convenient on uppers for obvious, head banging, reasons.

Reply to
Swingman

Sure, you can do it. As the other poster said, it's primarily a "looks" issue.

Reply to
bf

No rule however, If you use 2 doors for that opening you will need to address the space between the doors. You can either put another face frame stile between the doors and end up with 10 wide openings or attach a false stile to the back of one of the doors to cover the slot between the doors.

That said, I have 5 doors that are that wide in my kitchen and several 18" and wider. The closer the doors get to square the stranger they look when compared to other doors that have a longer tall vs. width measurement.

Reply to
Leon

Just like the others said. One thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on cheap hinges. If you have a wide door and a big raised panel in it the hinges will see a lot of weight both opened and closed.

Reply to
Jody

Well you can buy cheap hinges, don't get cheaply made hinges. I buy Blum's for $1.65 each, they have a life time warrantee, and out of the hundreds that I have installed have not has a single failure in the last 17 years.

Reply to
Leon

Yes I should have said cheap quality, not just cheap.

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Wilson