What is Living Trade?

Page 6 of 6
I was thinking the same on the fake DA bit. His original email was different and his moniker was "DA Clarke" not "D.A. Clarke", a similar trick employed by our poopy-panted friend and MITD.
I won't believe it's him until he claims to be hisself...
Mind you, it's a good thing to see Chuck hoist his skirts and fire back, with O'Neener in fine fettle too.
--
Greg

Greg Millen wrote:

Heh. Yeah, when someone calls my manhood into question, they'd better be prepared to be bitch-slapped into submission.
Charlene Vance
Tom Watson keyed:

I knew better than to be enjoying a beverage when I pulled up this post, and here's the evidence.
Little pearls like this are what LJ misses when he exercises his God-given right to plonk anyone who engages in significant Bee Aye Dee baiting. His loss.
'Course, he might see it now ;o).
O'Deen
still obsessing over me, P.O.?
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote:

Actually no, you top-posting idjit. Reread these two sentences. They refer to LJ losing out on interesting stuff when he plonks people who respond to you.

See? I'm suggesting that LJ misses out when he plonks. You're free to fuck off now. Thanks.
O'Deen
since you can't think of anything of substance to complain about, you bring up that I am a top poster?? That's about as lame a complaint as I've seen...next you'll be complaining if I end a question with more than one question mark. YOU are the idiot here, you lame moron. There. I feel better now! :)
Bite me!
I feel even BETTER!
DAVE
Patrick Olguin wrote:

On 13 May 2004 14:45:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) brought forth from the murky depths:

Ayup, he might at that. ;)
Thanks for sharing the plonkee's pearls. I do miss them, but the price for seeing them is just too high. FWIW, I plonked another poster eons ago because I got too tired seeing the rant about "Partial Birth Abortions" every couple dozen messages. Then there was Joe Woody Peckerhead. KnowwhatImean,Vern? :( Life's too short.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:00:58 -0700, Larry Jaques

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. (Edmund Burke)
Regards, Tom.
There are a many ways to work wood. I have cut, shaped and fastened more projects in my head than I will ever be able to physically accomplish. Mental exercises can make you a better woodworker; and, words can be as solid as oak. Perhaps, you would be more comfortable with an inquiry about which tablesaw to buy, or what dado head is best...like a virgin bride shopping her trousseau. Only, I choose not to perceive the working of wood to be an excursion for lace panties. Three years later, my projects are remembered; I have nothing to prove...nor does insult dissuade me. The living trade is for philisophical discussion between men for the fair dissemination of knowledge and understanding. I would solicit intelligent conversation, opinion, anecdotes, or topical dissention. What is living trade? Or, is this ng just lace panties?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message

Ah yes, visualization. Visualization is hardly new ground. See the wood, be the wood - been there done that. As for solid as oak, perhaps you're unfamiliar with the umpteen varieties of canyon oak, scrub oak, you-name-it oak that grow in the chaparral of the left coast, but most them are splintery and brittle, and won't really hold up to any meaningful scrutiny. Their best application is as firewood.
I think positive self-talk while doing the work is a mental preparation is what helps me the most. I learned this as a baseball player, going beyond the commonly-known visual technique of picturing the perfect pitch, its velocity, spin and trajectory, then visualization my perfect swing, solid contact, follow-through and pose as the ball rockets through the air and clangs off the facade of the third deck. This visualization breaks down if the batter is standing in the box telling himself, "Don't swing at a bad pitch. Don't bail out. Don't open up too fast, etc." He will invariably chase one in the dirt, while bailing out and opening up his hips too fast. The same applies to the dorking of the wood with, "Don't slip. Don't cut it crooked, Don't don't don't don't."
And so therefore I ackowledge what it is I can do (say, put a perfect edge on a chisel, and apply that edge to the work), accept what it is I cannot control (an unseen pitch pocket, the neighbor's marijuana party next door giving me a decent contact high, the amount of light left in the day, the negligible amount of cartilage left in my hip joints) and then let the outcome be what it is.
This isn't to stay I stay within my comfort zone, but I don't set myself up for abject disappointment. When I am attempting to extend my abilities, I do it on scrap - partially to save money or conserve expensive hardwood, but more in keeping with the assertive, esteeming message. This reduces stress (the inner conflict that occurs when the body must resist the urge to choke the living shit out of some asshole who desperately deserves it) in terms of the nearly always fatal, "don't fuck this up, it's $6.99 a bdft," while keeping me firmly rooted in reality (the opposite of denial), which I would depart from if I were to completely discard the notion that using up expensive hardwood for the sole purpose of skill-building is a prudent use of limited natural and monetary resources.
The process of evolving my woodworking process, if you will.
Not sure what your interest in panty lace is, but I'm doubly sure I won't be participating in an in-depth exploration of the subject on this ng. Not to say that panties themselves aren't worth exploring, provided they're being worn by someone with which you have a more than passing relationship, and they've extended a specific invitation for the exploration. Speaking of extended, if you'd like to take a gander at some long, stiff, thick, nice-looking wood, point your browser here:
http://www.klownhammer.org/yetmoreprogress
Yours in zen and the art of woodworking.
O'Deen
Patrick Olguin wrote in message:

Hello Patrick, Sorry for chopping your message up, but I read good experience and thought. Consider this: The doctrine of Zen...(whereby, enlightenment may be acheived by meditation and intuition, stimulated by the contemplation of beauty and simplicity)...wouldn't cut much wood; perhaps, to work wood is to take responsibility to reflect upon each accomplishment, each failure; that the yin and the yang might balance. Each chronicle of experience is the basis of your knowledge and understanding; that beyond a man's common sense and manual dexterity there is reason. And, perhaps, only time in apprenticeship will bring enlightenment. Could this be living trade? dac
snipped-for-privacy@math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote in message

Yeah, I miss old B-2 Bawb. I was wondering where he went, and then I saw he's posting some on one of the handtool discussion groups (Woodcentral?). I tried pinging him but haven't heard back from him. He would have had a field-day with our current high-school troll whose name must not be mentioned.

"Italian slider"? What is that ... Galliano and Sambuca in a shotglass?
Though why anyone would want a *used* one is beyond me.
Chuck Vance

From: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Bob Zajicek) Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: Got it! ...Fein Turbo III vac Date: 20 Jan 2003 20:14:28 -0800

Jeepers, lookee there Beav! That ol' stinkerpants Keith went and upset widdle Baybee Dave.
Bwhahahahahahahaha.
Hooboy.
Cheers, Bob ------------ Marietta, GA
On 1 May 2004 09:16:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) posted:

Nothing to do with it.
The term "living trade" is just a parallel with "living language"
Any language which is spoken by living humans evolves and changes. The opposite is a "dead language" such as Latin which is static and does not evolve or change.
Similarly for "living trade". I'll let others think of "dead trades".
Sandy wrote in message:

In the context of terminologies, you might well assume a parallel by definition of that which evolves and changes...but, what is your point? Stupidly, I have been accused of inventing the term living trade in arcanum...oops, there's a dead language; when, in fact, the phrase is merely common language usage, to describe a parameter for discussion. Are you entering into this discussion, or are you one of Conan's pointy-headed friends? Perhaps, you will elaborate on what others think of dead trades...
On 20 May 2004 12:28:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) posted:

You asked the question, I gave you the answer.

Nope, I told you what it means, end of story.
All this chatter, chatter, chatter (partially regurgitated from a 2000 thread, as someone in this thicket of threads pointed out). What a crock of mental mastabatory sh**. I see wood, I cut wood, I form wood, and in the process I become wood. . . in the tradition of those who saw, cut, formed and became wood since man first whittled a stick to pick his nose. Geeesshhhh, enough bandwidth was vaporized about this 4 years ago. How about we all go make some sawdust??
Mutt
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message

Hear, hear!!!! That's more-or-less what I was trying to say. You just cut to the chase a lot faster.
Good man.