What is Living Trade?

Page 4 of 6
On 17 May 2004 16:41:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote:

9of course individuals will want to claim credit for what they do, but none live in a vacuum. technology is cumulative, and when it reaches critical mass type threshholds it makes quantum leaps. the individuals involved are *almost* irrelevant.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message wrote in message

Ahh so you are the professor who will assign value and quantify what constitutes 'results' kinda arrogant
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Who cares about your question. The other stuff is a lot more interesting.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Um, less perspicacious?
I sold my Chinese fiddle yesterday and picked up some QS red oak from the hardwood store today. $4.75/bf + $3.40/bf rift red.
I'll have to order QSW when I want it :( , but he doesn't force a large purchase and is OK with small quantities. $5/bf
Now to find some good ammonia and make that small A&C entertainment center.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message

For one thing: Regular newsgroup contributors, unlike you.
What you don't seem to comprehend is that aside from the entertainment value we get from seeing your arrogant posturing, you have added nothing whatsoever to this group. In fact, it appears that despite your stratospheric IQ, you have failed to grasp a very simple concept: This is a newsgroup frequented by mostly recreational woodworkers (note the presence of "rec" in the group name) who have formed a community of sorts. We discuss everything from joinery, properties of wood, tool techniques and design elements to sports, fishing, adult beverages, etc.
In short, we're a bit like any gathering of guys at a bar or party. And your entrance into the group is similar to someone barging into the middle of a party uninvited and hollering, "hey, look at me ... I'm smarter than you, and I don't care what you're talking about, you should all discuss what interests me". Now given that scenario, what kind of response would you really expect?
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) HTH.
Is it the right time to poll for a splinter group of rec.woodworking.philosophy? (d&r)
Back in the days of Paully Rad <doffs hat> fillyscoffical chats were de rigueur; design, trade, the golden section/mean/string, Fibonacci ratios and Roman design influences were not uncommon. Generally, we welcome any discussion that *adds* to the understanding of our hobby. Certainly most prefer it to some of the wildly off-beat topics that creep in from time to time, and highbrow discussions are great - provided they are not conducted in a monobrow manner.
--
Greg

"Conan The Librarian" < snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu> wrote in message ...
snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) wrote:

Yeah - normally you have to go to the trumpet player's forum for that kind of discourse. DAMHIKT.
O'Deen
Has D.A. ever posted pictures of his woodwork?
OBTW, what does D.A. stand for? :-)
(Conan The Librarian) wrote:

(Conan The Librarian) wrote in message

As self-appointed moderator for this public facility, you should read your own FAQ, then give it a good flush. Just for your information, Charlie, I am recreating.

Since I originated the thread, as I was free to do, it must be my party. It's BYOB, Charlie...(Bring Your Own Brain)...and you didn't have the good manners to do so. But, you are welcome to stay, Chuckie...maybe somebody else will say something intelligent for you.
     snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) writes (to D.A.):

On the contrary, Chuck.
OB on topic (for D.A.): I first heard of the Living Bra as an impressionable child, and had this cartoonish image of a brassiere that went around chasing you.
Oh wait ...
Sorry.
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
Connie The Librarian wrote in message:

So, what is the Dewey decimal point for pissant, Chuckie?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote:

Me too dumb to know. Master, will you enlighten us?
Paul "Computer Twit" Kierstead
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Grasshopper? What do you see? Does man work wood? Or does wood work man?
"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message ...

I had a sneak around your site but couldn't see inside the box- you did build an inside for it didn't you?

I have to agree with Larry, tres' nice. The fly tying station is beautiful wood though, I don't fish but it makes me want to use it.

More'n one Chuck, more'n one.
I tried to build a small sewing cabinet spool holder on the weekend and stuffed it up totally. It turned out to be firewood, my worst effort yet. Measure twice they say, well, I did that - but why don't they say "get the right spool" instead?
Better days are just ahead...
Greg
Greg Millen wrote:

Damn, I got so busy with the outside that I totally forgot about that. :-)
It's got two rows of chisel holders, which are nothing more than some 4/4 oak with a series of vertical holes drilled and slots cut in the front edge.

Hey, you don't have to fish to tie flies. :-) As an aside, SWMBO saw the wood that I was using for the station and commented something to the effect of, "Why are you using all that fancy stuff for nothing more than a tool?".
Oh well, she still doesn't quite get it. :-) (But you obviously do.)

Thanks, Groggy.

Oooops, that hurts. I dunno how sewing thread goes, but thankfully, the flytying thread spools are pretty uniform.
So can you at least rationalize it as "practice"? :-}
Chuck Vance
"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message ...

done!

Wow, that's way beyond the synthesis of my ganglion perceptibilities...what website did you find that idea on, Chuckie? By the way, why did ya use all that fancy wood stuff on that fool...er, stool cabinet?
On 10 May 2004 04:54:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

So I'm picky. ;) While I love a certain shepherd's work and aspire to his level of expertise, I hold a -vastly- different concept of contrast than he.

I don't recall actually liking that one. (Feel better now?)

Why dincha just steam bend it and make an oval chest? The compass plane woulda fit just fine, and it would have been a reason to go buy a cooper's rabbet plane (if you don't already have one), which also would have fit right in. ;)

<pat pat pat>

Yeah. I had to plonk Tawm once again since I don't want to listen to any of the bay area crap he continues to argue with and quote. It's to the point that anyone quoting bay spew is now plonked. I wonder how many others at that level of disgust. <sigh>
Well, I've caught up on spring chores around here, got the garden in and most of the drip irrigation in, so now I can get back to the shop. First up is the pivoting sheet-goods storage rack. I need to get them off the wood rack where they now lean. Then I'll get back on that mantle scraping.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Larry Jaques wrote:

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

That's more like it, Lar. :-)
It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox1.jpg and
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cwbox2.jpg
But it made me realize what an affinity willow and walnut have for each other.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to practice on bending something easy like ply.

Actually, I was referring more to our friend D.A., but I know what you mean. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore the BAD stuff. It's like target practice; it helps keep your eye sharp, but gets old really fast.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing pole for garden stakes? ;-)
Chuck Vance