What is it with yellow pine?

Page 5 of 5
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Oh, well, I figured the buffalo ate all the deer and the antelope. Um.
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Yeah, that's the one I belong to.
Dave Hall

See <
http://balderstone.ca/Godscreatures1.jpg
;-)
djb
--
"Modern technology has enabled us to communicate and organize with speed and
efficiency never before possible. People have gotten less competent to
Dave Balderstone wrote:

:)

The fun thing is that biillboard's in Greenville South Carolina, and not Saskatoon Saskatchewan.
:-D
djb (in Saskatoon Saskatchewan)
--
"Modern technology has enabled us to communicate and organize with speed and
efficiency never before possible. People have gotten less competent to
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Now that you mention it, I've seen ads for that place. I don't think I have seen that particular billboard, but I'll watch for it. (I travel through Greenville regularly.)
mel wrote:

Ok, that makes sense. It's not clear why that makes the wood less stable so long as the grain runs vertically up and down the trunk instead of spirally around like curly maple. In fact, I hadn't known that about yellow pine.
Folklore abounds in the woods, just like anywhere else so it wasn't clear if you knew what you were writing about (which clearly you did) or had an _interesting_ notion about how trees grow.

Oh, I forgot to mention--my belt sander with 60 grit leaves it . . . . . . SHINY!!!
(It is an old belt, but still . . .)
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Sounds to me like you got ahold of a piece of old growth Longleaf Pine that was very full of resin. These trees can harden up like the proverbial "ironwood", especially if it was dead when cut and the log was low on the bole.
Fred
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

Uh Huh. Southern Yellow Pine is one of the densest, hardest softwoods, the only commercially commonplace softwood species comporable in strength to Doug Fir.
I think that as the wood ages teh sap polymerizes increasing the strength and hardness.
The Chromated Copper Arsenate treatment makes it denser, maybe harder too. It may be a good thing that you didn;t use a power planer. Probably it would corrode the heck out of the planer head.
--

FF

actually yellow pine is considerably stronger than Doug fir