What is it with this place?

Page 2 of 3
MikeWhy wrote:

For years handed out small screwdrivers with a magnet in one end.
Would caution the person receiving the screwdriver that it had a set of invisible legs which the screwdriver used to run away and hide when you weren't looking.
My bet is those blades came equipped with a set of those invisible legs.
Lew
We used to love those ad screwdrivers. We'd get em by the handful and then just mangle them for whatever we needed, grind em, bend em, shape em. Do whatever, it didn't matter they where free and plentiful. We should have a contest for the most creative use of one of those things. Now I'm not in that type of business anymore and now I have no ad screwdrivers. :-(
SteveP.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

What I want to know is where the international orange tape measure that I "JUST" set down is?
Dave
"David G. Nagel" wrote

I shared my experience with tape measures.
I have found, for me at least, that the only good solution for the vanishing tape measure is to assemble a critical mass of tape measures. Once enough of them is close by, they can't mess with you any more. The actual number required varies with the individual.
(You do realize the tape measures get together and plot and scheme against you, don't you?)
Lee Michaels wrote:

Too bad they don't reproduce.

Asexual reproduction. We're a necessary part of the cycle, a classic symbiotic relationship, unequal and assymetrical. When we can no longer stand their absence, we gather some more. (We're apparently the parasitic half.)
I forget the author, but a few years back there was a major complaint about being able to find a pencil while in the shop.
The author solved his problem by buying a whole box of #2 pencils and standing in his shop door and just started throwing the pencils in a 180 degree arc as far as he could.
Of course, two days latter, he couldn't find a pencil.

If you see a 30' Craftsman, it's mine. Please ask it to return home where it belongs.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Probably went to the same place that one sock of each pair goes, into a black hole.. Most likely, your blades are is said black hole, having coffee with my pack of a dozen 12" sanding disks.. Been looking for them off and on for a year with no luck, and there aren't a lot of places that you can put a 14" x 14" package that requires a flat surface in my shop that isn't highly visible.. I've decided that it's time to locate them, though.. I'll order another dozen, and the old ones will show up the day after the new ones get here..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Scientists have established that all lost socks, saw-blades, air-line luggage etc have created Saturn's rings.
Robatoy wrote:

I don't know about that but I do know that sox become hangers some time during the rinse cycle.

A friend of mine, over a period of weeks would steal a sock out of the washing machine or dryer when his wife was doing laundry. She would line them up on the back of the washer, waiting for the mate to show up. Then, he put the whole bunch in the washing machine. She couldn't figure out where they had been. He also told his new co-workers that his wife was a native indian and that after marriage it had taken some time to get her to use the stove instead of cooking everything over a fire in the back yard. She couldn't figure out why everyone looked strangely at her at her first company party. A hard man to be friends with as you could never tell if he was putting you on or telling a truth.
Tom G.

Until the time that me and my wife got married, she had never cooked on anything but a wood stove. Paw-in-law is 90 and still doing so. Wood stoves have the very nice feature of cutting themselves off if you leave them unattended, gas is not so forgiving. There is still a lot of food being burned beyond recognition.
basilisk

Those kind of guys make the best friends.
MikeWhy wrote:

They're not lost. Look in the shoebox marked "recipes" in the flour bin.     happy to be of service,     jo4hn
I got more caulk guns than the entire Home Depot chain.
MikeWhy wrote:

Me, too. And yet, I still can't find 'the good one" when I need it.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hell, I can't find the _bad_ one when I need it. I thought it was just me.
--John
I am joining this "can't find it & possible solutions" discussion late. Here's my contribution.
My dad used to get really upset because he could never find a 9/16" wrench. We would spend hours hunting that thing down. When I grew up and flew the coop, I ended up at an industrial surplus place that had numerous wrenches in a scrap bin. I fished out a goodly number of various sizes and a whole bunch of 9/16" wrenches.
I sent the wrenches to him. He got upset at me. But years later, he thanked me. He said he never knew how a bunch of 9/16" wrenches could come in so handy!
As for me, I never could keep track of a measuring tape. I had to keep buying new ones. I had several, but the just vanished all the time. Then one day at the industrial surplus center, just love that place, they had a sale on a big batch of tools. And on the shelf, they had a number of bright, neon colored measuring tapes.
I bought all 14 of them. And I have bought more over the years as well. My wife even bought me that giant battery operated meauring tape from Black and Decker! I have several measuring tapes in my office, a couple in the living room, one in each car and a couple in the wife's sewing room. And lots of them in the shop as well. I am never more than a few steps from a measuring tape.
I wish I could tell you that solved my vanishing tools problem. I still have that malady. But as far as measuring tapes go, I am covered.
There is one of those in Dayton that I go to every time I go back to visit my parents.
They sell everything under the sun.