What is it? Weekend Edition 8

Page 3 of 3
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

No need to make it too easy on the NOOBS. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Think of the message as a reward, after someone spends half an hour writing a decoder in BASIC.
Heh.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

The last decoder I wrote in basic was to disassemble the firmware OS in a Commodre 1581 disk drive.
enough left over to pay them.

    Or -- sat down and decoded it by hand. (Not too difficult -- just tedious.)
    Also -- not too difficult to write a decoder in C (or perl, or pretty much any reasonable language). Lots of ways to do it.
    I don't think that I would want to try it in INTERCAL, however. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:
(...)

I had to look that one up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL
"Caution! Under no circumstances confuse the mesh with the interleave operator, except under confusing circumstances!"
That is a Riot! Reminds me of Douglas Adams.
http://www.earthstar.co.uk/drive.htm
:)
--Winston

    Download the original paper on it and read that if you haven't. I remember being introduced to it at an early local computer club meeting, perhaps around 1978 or so.
    Better -- it was written (in part) by one of the two programmer responsible for the original Adventure. :-)

    Hmm ... I don't remember reading that in _HHGTTG_ -- some supplementary publication, or my failing memory?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:
(...)

That sure resonates with anyone who bashed their head against a thorough but completely useless instruction manual or 'man entry'. (Timidly raises hand.)

..Who were bright enough to warrant sunscreen and shades.

Perhaps you dismissed it as 'too improbable'. :)
See section 3.3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
Just now I realized that I want to be Douglas Adams when I grow up.
http://www.douglasadams.com /
--Winston
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Sometimes I'm overly recursive.
:)
--Winston

"For extra security, and to foil spammers, all my postings are double-rot13 encoded."
Robert Bonomi wrote:
(...)

I can't get to a browser right now. What did Bob say? Can anybody decode this for me?
--Winston

things, but dont wave them around. Long haul truck drivers, tour bus drivers, etc etc.
I know at least 5 ladies who keep one in their gear.
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Rob H. wrote the following:

A candle holder?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'll go ahead and post the answer for this one, it's a shoemaker's welt trimmer, a cutting tool used with a pushing motion to trim the outer edge of a welt after stitching.
Rob
Rob H. wrote the following:

The glue all over the handle shoulda given it away. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY