What is it? Weekend Edition 8

Interesting world view you have there. Is that the result of a head injury?

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Lbh cbfg gur vafgehpgvbaf ba ubj gb ebg13 qrpbqr (be rapbqr, fvapr vg vf n erirefvoyr cebprff) *va* ebg13.

Lbh zhfg ernyyl abg jnag gubfr jub qba'g xabj gb yrnea. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No need to make it too easy on the NOOBS. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sometimes I'm overly recursive.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Think of the message as a reward, after someone spends half an hour writing a decoder in BASIC.

Heh.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The last decoder I wrote in basic was to disassemble the firmware OS in a Commodre 1581 disk drive.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, that IS kinda strange.

Reply to
humunculus

Or -- sat down and decoded it by hand. (Not too difficult -- just tedious.)

Also -- not too difficult to write a decoder in C (or perl, or pretty much any reasonable language). Lots of ways to do it.

I don't think that I would want to try it in INTERCAL, however. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

I had to look that one up.

"Caution! Under no circumstances confuse the mesh with the interleave operator, except under confusing circumstances!"

That is a Riot! Reminds me of Douglas Adams.

Winston

"For extra security, and to foil spammers, all my postings are double-rot13 encoded."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

(...)

I can't get to a browser right now. What did Bob say? Can anybody decode this for me?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Kirkpatrick Sale _Rebels_Against_the_Future_ Addison-Wesley Publishing 1995.

Some English lived in towns. Some owned land or were subjects of landowners. The rest lived on public land. A big motive for turning public land into private estates was to get rich producing wool.

Large numbers of displaced Scotch and Irish ended up in America, while displaced English went to cities. Gin became popular as a cheap means of slow suicide.

Reply to
J Burns

Download the original paper on it and read that if you haven't. I remember being introduced to it at an early local computer club meeting, perhaps around 1978 or so.

Better -- it was written (in part) by one of the two programmer responsible for the original Adventure. :-)

supplementary publication, or my failing memory?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

That sure resonates with anyone who bashed their head against a thorough but completely useless instruction manual or 'man entry'. (Timidly raises hand.)

..Who were bright enough to warrant sunscreen and shades.

Perhaps you dismissed it as 'too improbable'. :)

See section 3.3:

's_Guide_to_the_GalaxyJust now I realized that I want to be Douglas Adams when I grow up.

Winston