What is it? Weekend Edition 2

Below are links to five photos that were sent to me, these first three are unidentified:
5.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic5a.jpg
6. 12" tall, aluminum:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic6t.jpg
7. 3-1/2 feet tall, this was found in a Studebaker factory:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic7t.jpg
I know what these last two are for:
8. 15" long, found in an old school house in Scotland, not necessarily school related:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic8a.jpg
9. The larger ones are 5" outside diameter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic9.jpg
Rob http://55tools.blogspot.com/

No idea.

Lighting fixture?

I'd guess it was used to carry car doors around the factory.

No idea.

Used to attach downspouts to houses. In effect, a glorified nail. Probably made of galvanized cast iron (if old enough). New cheap ones may be aluminum or die metal.
Joe Gwinn

    Looks like a shock mount as part of the suspension of a car or a carriage.

    Looks like a cover to control where light from a lamp shines, while cooling itself fairly well with the fins.

    For moving parts of the car to where it would be assembled to the car?

    For hanging two of something on the wall -- and perhaps for also hanging something like two umbrellas at the bottom (one hook missing.)

    For mounting the downspout of a gutter to the house.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Air Raid siren?
Gunner
"

That was my thought too. Karl

Correct, they are downspout brackets.
Rob

Could we be more specific on which factory? South Bend? Which Building?
Since some of the buildings had other uses after the demise of Studebaker's South Bend operations, this might have nothing to do with the car manufacturer. I'm forwarding the photo to a couple experts...
said:

It was found in South Bend, don't know which building, I'll ask the person who sent the photo.
Rob

The experts came through -- this was apparently the frame of a prototype moon sample cart under development for NASA (?) in 1963. There are a couple threads on the Studebaker Drivers Club forums dealing with the restoration of the "Turtle." The wheels of the prototype are of some sort of foam. This may have just been a handy material for a mock-up; the sketch on the second page below shows grooved tires more typical for cross-country, off-road (or lunar!) use. No engineering documents seem to be still in existence; the lunar transport use is word-of-mouth.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?32353-My-1963-Prototype-moon-cart&highlight=Prototype http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?41989-Makin-progress-on-the-prototype-thing http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?42020-The-Turtle-prototype-thing-lives !!-It-s-fixed!!!&highlight=turtle
Studebaker
assembled Curtiss-Wright engines for B-24 bombers during WWI. They also developed the M29 Weasel, a tracked vehicle originally developed for Artic use. The Weasel could climb 15-degree slopes, and the sealed bottom allowed it to float. An amphibious version was "perfected" in late '43. Over the 15-thousand-some Weasels built, there still exist several excellent operational examples. The "St. Lo Special" is part of the collection at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M29_Weasel http://travel.webshots.com/album/552048172ECAscY?start 8
After Curtis-Wright took over the burden of management of the failing Studebaker-Packard Corporation, military contracts propped up the company for a couple years.

Oops -- WWII.
Thanks for solving this one! Someone sent me the photo a few months ago and I never got around to posting it on the web site. At least the answer was more interesting than I expected.
Rob

    "When in wonder, when in doubt ..." call it an Alien Sex Toy, banned in six systems, by 3 religions, two cults and the Sacred Guild of Joybuzzlers on Sigma Draco..
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich