What is it? Set 554

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
RE: Stormin Mormon
Zonked this idiot but others continue to bring him back from Zonk land.
Help.
Lew

I suppose it never occurred to you to visit Rob's page on BlogSpot and simply LOOK at the answers he posts here AND there every single week.
Since you have to look at the clue photos on BlogSpot, I know for a certainty that you have the link.

traditional format, each week. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Then your problem is with Rob who post the answers usually on friday. The rest of know where the answers are and have told you how and where they are.
Markem wrote:

Anybody else notice how this thread is no longer about "What is it?" but is now about "Pity Poor Chris" ? Y'all have played right into his plans and given him just what he wants - attention . You should be ashamed of yourselves .
--
Snag

Not me. I am what you'd call "long-suffering". I am not "forever- suffering".
For all these years, he's been an interesting diversion. Now he's on the Plonk List.
Lloyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Yeah , he had some entertainment value , but the incessant damn carping about the answers finally pushed me over the edge . I only see quoted text from him now , and too damn much of that .
--
Snag

http://tinyurl.com/o3nk7gd
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

Both are correct though I'll have to take your word on the pulling bearings and bushes on the slide hammer.

You are right about it being an inside caliper, this device is for a very particular purpose.

I don't know for sure but think this is correct, I will email the owner and ask how many cups it holds.

This guess is not correct but is on the right track.

Correct, the owner said it was a lightning rod.

Yes

If this tool looks familiar, I posted a wooden version of it several years ago.

Sounds like a good answer but I haven't found a reference for it yet.

Nope

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3235)    This looks like an interesting variant on a measuring     instrument.
    I think that it is for an inner measurement, between the spur     added to the bottom right-hand corner (as photographed) and the     projection on the slider with the window. Actually, there is a     second point on that spur from which outside dimensions could be     read.
    Measurement is taken by the intersection of the edge of the     window and the slanted line. Each (numbered) slanted line     covers a range of fifteen of whatever the unit of measurement is,     and where it crosses the edge of the window determines which     value (between 1 and 15) to add to it.
    The smaller slider with the pointer is for similar measurements     (bidirectional, based on the scale).
    I am curios to know what units it is actually measuring in, given     fifteen marked divisions, plus an implied zero at the top of the     window, and a scale from 1 to 8 (again with an implied zero), but     I' n to quite sure how the needle is coupled to motion of the     slide.
    Perhaps it measures by pushing down the brass knob, and     determining the projection of the metal part which is not     clearly visible from the photo angles. In that case it would be     for small steps only.
    But what linear measurement is in units of 16 and 9?
3236)    This one looks to be designed to clamp onto the edge of a plate of     metal, and to be used for lifting it via the eye opposite the     thumbscrew (using a crane, of course, and likely two or more of     th eyes.)
    At a guess from say 1/4" thick up to two or two and a half     inches thick.
3237)    I rather like the scale beside it. It would be convenient when     taking rough measurements in a hurry and in poor illumination.
    The scoop seems to me to be for scooping up grain (wheat, corn,     whatever). Not convenient for measuring it, however.
3238)    An interesting thing. At first guess, I would think that it is     for guiding hoses or small irrigation pipes (which would fit in     the notch above the spike. The spike goes into the ground. A     similar metal plate goes on top to hold the hose or pipe in     place.
    And the tabs on the underside look as though they are intended to     be bent over to grip a grounding wire -- which suggests that the     pipe may be carrying a flamable liquid, not water or fertilizer.
3239)    The fork to the right looks like one designed for popping ball     joints apart -- likely steering ball joints.
    The other part looks like a slide hammer, which could be used     for driving the fork.
3240)    Hmm ... from London. The graduated sizes of the spaces on the     shelves suggest a set of weights, which probably means that the     hole in front of the shelves is access to a pan to put the     weights on. (But I don't see any form of balance indicator.)
    The locks key (I assume that the same key fits both the door and     the drawer in the bottom) suggests that whatever it is used on     is fairly expensive -- a precious metal perhaps, which it would     make sense to weigh very carefully.
    The slide at the top front likely opens and closes openings on     the top.
    The projecting dowels look to be to bounce what is dropped,     perhaps to make it more finely divided.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
3239: Ball joint separator.
On 7/17/2014 4:19 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I think 3239, on the right, is a tie rod end separator. Not sure what the slide hammer is used for.

A very nice ruler indeed.

But it strikes me that the shape of it could be useful for getting a precise amount of some powder. If you filled the scoop and then drew a straight edge across it you'd get a standard measure.
On 7/17/2014 4:19 AM, Rob H. wrote:

room, as always.
3235 is a paint thickness gauge. The probe pressed into the paint, and the indicator shows how thick is the paint. This is used for QC, mostly in commercial paint jobs, for example defense department. (This is entirely a guess, and probably totally wrong.) 3236, table clamp. 3237, tool for mixing butter. Spatula. 3238, roof spike for running heater tape. 3239, the one on the left appears to be a dent puller for automotive. On the right is a tie rod separator, fondly called a pickle fork. 3240, not sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young