What is it? Set 553

Page 3 of 3
E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Maybe it's for loading fireworks.
Joe Gwinn

Text on it reads "PAT. JUNE. 24 .29", but that's not a Tuesday, so either it's an incorrect date or not a U.S. patent. One of my friends did some research and reported: "That date was a valid patent date for Greece, England, Germany, France and Denmark. There were 262 patents issued on that date in those countries combined, and I looked at those from England with no obvious hits."
The end of the plunger is tapered, a photo of it can be seen here:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/126511-unknown-gun-powder-reloding- funnel-t?in29

Rob, I don't like it for a powder loader, by virtue of the fact that it has no means to limit the amount of the charge. Powder piston loaders almost all have a means to meter out a fixed amount of powder per stroke.
That one seems to just admit powder more-or-less endlessly, without any particular method of stopping it. The tip would ram it, but what would stop the powder remaining in the tube from just 'drizzling out' when it was removed from the sprue it was intended to fill?
No... being a pyro person, I'm not happy with that being _anything_ to load powder into _anything_. (could be wrong, though. wouldn't be the first time!)
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I think it's for medicating small animals . I know what a problem I have giving our dog her meds <monthly flea pill , aspirin for her aches> . Drop pill in funnel , insert tube into mouth , pull plunger and follow the pill down .
--
Snag

I agree that it's unlikely to be a powder loader, looks like this one will remain unsolved for a while.