What is it? Set 552

This week I need some help with 3223, 3227, and 3228:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/sOBHf/new
Rob
3226 - A ballot box?
3228 - A trowel used for spreading a measured layer of adhesive over a flat surface, e.g. for tiling a floor. Each notch leaves a consistently sized triangular ridge of adhesive, and then the ridges are flattened into a smooth layer as the tiles are laid.
--
Mark Brader | "I've just checked my dictionary, though, and it does
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net | not agree with me, which just goes to show how wrong

I can't know for sure, but I'll bet 3223 is a crank for turning an engine slightly when trying to insert a tranny shaft into the clutch spline. Looks like it goes in where the starter would, and allows you to just 'tweak' the engine to a new position. It's probably for a _specific_ engine, so was likely a 'factory' tool.
LLoyd

I concur with this , I had a similar tool for hand cranking diesel engines around to the timing marks when adjusting valves and doing tune ups. I fits in the fly wheel housing and engages with the gear teeth on the fly wheel . Caterpillar engines usually have an opening on left and right sides of the fly wheel housing where the starter goes , these tools go in the starter mount thats not being used by the starter
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I was thinking the same thing , but I suspect the round part goes in one of the bell housing bolt holes from the tranny side . Could be as you say used to turn the crankshaft , but for instance to set each crank throw in position to bolt on the con rod caps .
--
Snag

Nope

I'm still not sure about this one
says...

The tags didn't have any information other than the owner's name, the photos were from a tool collectors meeting.

There weren't any sockets but I'm sure it's possible that something could be missing from this one.

Correct!
Sponenburgh says...

Sounds reasonable but I'm still looking for a good reference for this tool.
Rob H. wrote:

I'd guess some sort of weaponry from wooden ship days - perhaps about the Civil War
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
Rob H. wrote:

It looks like it would do a good job of swirl texture on a ceiling ... Lay on the mud with a trowel and make J motions with the tool .
--
Snag

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3223)    A tool for fine adjusting of something which has a ring gear     on the outside for that purpose. The projecting part is placed     into a hole adjacent to the gear, and pushed down until the     pinion gear on the tool engages the ring gear, and then the     lever is used to rotate that object.
    There appears to be a ball detent to hold it in place suggesting     that it is used either horizontally or with the projecting part     pointing up.
    Exactly what it is used to adjust is hard to say without knowing     where it came from. :-)
3224)    A micrometer for measuring the diameter of a hole through a     round shaft. The V's are placed on the shaft, with the cone     projecting into the hole, with the thimble turned until the cone     contacts the hole firmly on all sides. Then the reading it     taken from the thimble of the micrometer -- and perhaps also     from graduations on the rod (if any) sticking out the other end.
3225)    A tool either for bending a small flat spring, or for compressing     it to ease installation into whatever it goes in.
3226)    A naval mine from (I think) the civil war period, based on the     sparsity of stars on the flags. None are shown completely, so I     can't be sure how many are present.
3227)    Not really sure what it is -- but the ventilated handle     suggests that it is used to deal with hot objects. Perhaps for     smoothing down a hot-glue joint?
3228)    This looks like it is intended for spreading a fairly viscous     glue to form into a number of parallel beads which will then     spread out and join when the other piece is placed on top of the     glue.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 3/07/2014 5:21 PM, Rob H. wrote:

3224 is amicrometer for measuring groove or key way depth in round bars or similar . The base of the micrometer has a vee groove to center it on a round part .
3226 a civil war floating mine made from a powder barrel

I took the photos at an American history auction, the flags are not necessarily from the same time as torpedo, but you are right about it being from the civil war.
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I was also thinking that this tool was for lifting or levering something, but it seems home made based on the weld and the lower bolt looking like it would interfere with getting a good grip on the handle.
So far I only have three answers for this set:
Rob