What is it? Set 549

Page 2 of 2

Don't know, I'll email the owner and ask him this question.

Here is a photo of the gears that he sent, they look to be not very thin:
http://imgur.com/i57p5q4

    Thanks!

    O.K. About medium strength, then. And while I don't know which side is up,. the side on the top is the high speed, and the one on the bottom is the low speed. (Assuming that the center gears shown are directly connected to the shafts. No real depth to the photo -- even if I save it and adjust the gamma to make it less dark.
    Maybe it is supposed to have a fan blade on the high speed end, and be used as a hand-cranked breeze in hot weather?
    Or -- as someone else suggested -- for a hand cranked grinding wheel (a quite small one). If it had a way to clamp it on a table edge, it could be for sharpening scissors or something similar. But I seem to remember a wooden handle under the gear housing, which is awkward for most grinding uses.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    Given that additional clue, before going to see that one -- let me state a secondary guess. It is for deforming plastic watch and dial indicator crystals. Push the center in relative to the ring and the OD shrinks a bit. Drop the bezel ring onto it so the edge of the crystal fits into the groove there, and relax the grip on the pliers to let the crystal expand into the ring.
    I made something to do this -- using a drill press and the press part instead of pliers.
    Now to see what the "hidden" answers really say.
    Yes! I wish that I had seen this before I needed to make a tool to do this. (I used mine on crystals for various sizes of dial indicators of the sorts used by machinists.
    I hope that this one has interchangeable parts, to adapt it to larger or smaller crystals. I had to make (so far) three different sizes. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    They were right about one thing:
    "(OCR text may contain errors)"
    Pretty much unreadable. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yeah, that was one of the worst I've seen.

It did have some interchangeable parts, they can be seen in this photo of the tool in its box:
http://i.imgur.com/XYkyjGK.jpg

Here is his reply:
"Well depending on how you hold it, it could go either way. They turn both Clockwise and Counter Clockwise. It is as almost as if there would have been a handle that would fit on which ever side you choose and then the other side would have been inserted into something so you could turn it at a different rate of RPM."

    Now *that* would have saved me a lot of time. :-) (And if I have to make other sizes, still could, if I could find one for sale at a reasonable price. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    O.K. Not really the answer to my question, as that much was obvious. (Other than what appears to be a different square on the two ends, so they probably did not fit interchangeably. :-) I was more interested in whether the tapered square was the slower or faster end.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail