What is it? Set 548

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the last two in this week's set, numbers 3203 and 3204:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/s28Ab/new
Rob
"Rob H." wrote in message:

3201: An electric charcoal lighter.
Lew

3199 looks like one of thos 1970s vintage cartridge-fired tear gas guns (keychain model) <G> 3200 A well worn wheel dresser 3201 electric charcoal starter 3202 ?? 3203 Look to be a specialty gas burner plier by Pexto. The little serrations at the very tip are a kind of pexto signature, and it looks like those rollers were made to engage some specific feature of a particular burner; in three sizes. Most of their gas burner pliers are a lot more "generic" than that.
Hmmm... I have a pair of the more conventional type, but I've never seen one configured like that before.
LLoyd
On 6/5/2014 3:45 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3199    Gun, single shot gun... load a bullet, set shoot.
3200    Granite or tile edging tool. Cutters are moved back and forth over edging to create an edge..
3201    Charcoal starter (heater)
3202    Mailbox master key.
3203     Looks like a hinge, One end goes in a slot, the other is nailed (single nail?)
3204    Tile cutter , with pincer breaker..
--
Jeff

3203 - Shoe stretcher
3204 - Crimper ... for connector on a cable

3203 is shaped like a shoe, looks like it would stop at the heel, marked for left. Heck of an arch support ; )
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 06:05:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote in part:

3201 Could be a refrigerator defroster.

It might be the hinge for a boot last. These are usually articulated to allow it to get past the shaft of the boot.
Paul K. Dickman

If I had to guess I'd also say it's a starting pistol, but I don't know the answer for sure.

Correct!

There is a resemblance...

Yes, that's what the owner said it was.

Nailed it

I certainly agree that it looks like a pair of gas burner pliers, but no one that I've shown it to has seen the rollers before.

Yeah, I guess it could be used as a gun, I was thinking it was for blanks but there's no reason it couldn't use a regular round

Could be. I thought the patent would be easy to find but the date was not a Tuesday so that usually means it's incorrect.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3199)    Aside from disguising itself as a key-ring, I would say that     this is for discharging tear gas shells -- at a guess, .38     special in size.
    It is rather better made than the others of the sort which I     have seen.
3200)    This looks like a used-to-death grinding wheel dresser.
    Normaly, those discs would be star-shaped wheels, and the     remains of the star notches are still visible on the outermost     of them only.
3201)    Electric starter for a charcoal filled barbecue grill.     Put it in the middle of the pile of coals and plug it in and     wait for a while. :-)
3202)    Well ... Army issue -- and not the usual T-38 can opener.
    I really don't know what it is really is, but is sort of looks     like a tool for removing the scales from a fish prior to     cooking.
3203)    Looks like part of a device for either holding a shoe in shape     between uses, or perhaps a fixture for fabricating the shoe     around.
3204)    If all three wheels were only on one side (I see more on the     down side) and if the jaws had a more circular opening, I would     think that it was either for scribing a "break" line around     glass tubing, or for cutting copper tubing.
    It looks like it was made by "Proto" (Professional tools) which     I know as a maker of automotive tools.
    The interesting teeth on the end of the jaws looks like they are     for spring hose clips, which suggests that the rollers (one side     or the other, but not both at once) could be used for either     forming or repairing the bulge on the end of things like radiator     hose fittings, which again is automotive. But I can't find ones     in a current vendor of Proto tools.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

HAH! Rob!!??
Lloyd

    Actually -- based on what I could see from the photos, there is an excellent reason it could not fire a regular round -- or at least not survive that. :-)
    The diameter of the open end is significantly smaller than the cartridge cavity, so the bullet would not clear -- even if you remembered to remove the keychain from it before firing. :-)
    Look at the photo of the shell holder by itself, and compare the ID of the close end (where the shell fits) with the OD of the projection towards the keychain (and the ID would have to be larger than that to pass the bullet.)
    Also -- those four radial holes to let the pressure out to the sides and then let the outer sleeve direct it (and the tear gas) towards the attacker. They would lower the pressure quite rapidly, even if the front ID were large enough to pass the bullet.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 6/5/2014 3:45 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3199, spring loaded center punch 3200, dressing tool for grinding wheel 3201, electric charcoal starter 3202, smokers pipe cleaner 3203, Amish farmer's inner sole for boot 3204, pipe fitters wrench, to tighten small pipe. Or, fence tool.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/6/2014 11:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Monday, and no answers posted. Sigh.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I think you guys are right! The owner thought it was a starter's gun so I had that theory stuck in my mind, but I finally did some searching on tear gas pen guns and now like that idea better.
I'm still not sure about the last two but the rest of the answers have been posted:
Thanks, Rob
<snip>