What is it? Set 546

Page 2 of 2
On 5/23/2014 7:39 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Well, I'm zero for the week. Thanks for posting the answers. Glad I was able to help with the cylinder popper.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Someone suggested that this is a hand warmer, I think this is probably correct.

of

I reread the email that the owner sent and found this:
"I bought this tool a few years ago at a garage sale, and the seller didn't have any idea what it was. (She was selling things that had belonged to her grandfather, as I recall, and there were a number of locksmithing tools, among other things.)"
So it looks like you nailed it.
Thanks
On 5/22/2014 7:02 PM, Rob H. wrote:

My pleasure, to help out. So many specialized tools out there, and it's nice to recognize one, now and again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3187)    I think that this is for digging shellfish in the zone between     high tide and low tide.
3188)    Looks sort of like an engine-room telegraph for commanding     speed from the bridge down to where the men are operating the     engine.
    But it *could* be another elevator control leer.
3189)    Does not look like it was made that way from the manufacturer.
    Rather a square to drive wrench sockets has been added to a     hammer -- so someone (perhaps an elevator repairman) will have     to carry fewer tools.
3190)    For chopping a multi-conductor cable to approximate length     prior to striping the jacket and connecting the wires to their     proper termination.
    Might even be for the lead jacketed cable which came before the     plastic jacketed cables.
3191)    A radius gauge -- both concave and convex radia. (The rounded end     or the scooped side.)
    I see that this one is in fractional inch sizes, but rather     larger than my sets.
3192)    A machinist's telescoping hole gauge. Press the two ends of     the 'T' together, and gently tighten the knob on the end, then     stick it into a bore to be gauged, loosen the knob to let the     ends snap out into contact with the walls, very slightly tighten     the knob to provide a slip fit and rock the gauge in the hole     until the ends just barely pass through the hole, and then     tighten it more. Withdraw it, and measure the length across the     ends with a micrometer and you know the bore fairly accurately.     (It take developing some feel to get good readings with this     tool.
    Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and others have made these -- in sets     to cover a range of from perhaps 1/2" up to perhaps 4" or so.
    Now to post my suggestions and see what others have suggested.
    More comments below, but ... :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

    Only a guess -- in part from the machinst's scale below it, and the nicely knurled knob at the right. I think that it is a tool intended to deburr the far side of a hole. You squeeze the tips together to fit through the hole, push it through, and when the tips spring open on the far side, pull it back slightly and rotate to clean off the burrs from the original drilling.

    Presumably a survivalist's fire starter.

    No clue -- other than that it looks perhaps Asian in style.
    Maybe for burning incense?
    I actually prefer the supplemental questions to be separate from the puzzle ones.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 2014-05-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    "Here" is somewhat variable. Remember, these are cross-posted to:
    rec.puzzles     rec.crafts.metalworking     rec.woodworking
and only in the second of those does the "here" fit with a group who would recognize that tool.
    *This* is why I always specify which newgroup I am posting from, to sort of get an idea how the answers match with the newsgroups. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    [ ... ]

    The rods could be for propping up long sticks of incense.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 22/05/2014 5:34 PM, Rob H. wrote:

3191 is a tool makers radius gauge 3192 is a telescopic bore gauge for measuring holes in metalwork pieces

It's possible this is english or french. The fellow wearing the phrygian cap (representing a french revolutionist circa 1800) is being choked by a brit wearing a tri-corner cap. As for its purpose? possibly for holding ink.

Actually, one side says "draft open" and the other side says "crack open"
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
email.me:

Makes sense when you consider the labels "draft open" and "crack open" on the dial.
Also: http://tinyurl.com/p2jg6cz
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

It's *obviously* a reproduction antikythera device. See? no kytheras around here! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
--