What is it? Set 543

Page 2 of 2
On 5/1/2014 3:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3171 The guesses as a cleanout tool look good, would also be very good for pulling fibers/threads/cords through a hole. Push through hole, twist clockwise to grab fibers, pull though hole, twist counterclockwise to release.

Those all sound like good answers but I'm not having any luck in proving any of them.
On 5/2/2014 4:37 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Is the end threaded? If so, it might be a tow worm, used to clean muzzle loading firearms with tow (coarse, rough fibers, such as flax, hemp or jute) when attached to the ram rod. From its size, would be for a fairly small bore, .45 or smaller. Couldn't find one just like it, most have MUCH tighter twists, duplicating historical examples, but could be a modern variant.

No... that auger has a specific use not yet mentioned, and in the back of my head somewhere is the answer. I _know_ what it is, but have not dredged it back out, yet. Something tells me it has to do with cleaning out the touch holes in cannon.
Lloyd

Jeff

The left end is square for about 1/4 inch.

I couldn't find any gun worms similar to this tool either, looks like it's still a mystery for now.