What is it? Set 543

The latest set has been posted:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

A wild guess for 3171 is that it's a glass drill (that is, a drill for making holes in glass, rather than - oh you know).

Reply to
Dr Nick
3169 is a cleaning tool for an L85 SA80 British rifle.

lektric dan

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3169, handgun maint tool, or maybe rifle. Drill to clear the gas port. Just a wild guess. 3170, depth adjuster for a farm machine. 3171, drain cleaner, maybe? Remove hair from a drain? 3172, no clue. 3173, some kind of clamp? 3174, scrapers to remove mud from shoes?

For whatever reason, I can't get RCM on this usenet provider and reader. Not sure I can get R Woodworking. So, I read and cross post from rec puzzles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
3173 is an engravers clamp for pocket watches or lockets.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

3170 is a work holder when cutting on a band saw.
Reply to
Rick

Could be, I still don't have an answer for this tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rifle tool is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

used wicking, gooey oil, etc without forcing any deeper like a drill bit can.

Sounds reasonable

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Reply to
Rob H.

Watchmaker's clamp is correct, not sure if it's for engraving, I thought it was for repairs.

Reply to
Rob H.
3169 Fencing multi-tool 3170 Fence post alignment jig 3171 Guage for checking for proper twist in barbed wire 3172 Semi-automatic stapler for fence wire 3173 Escutcheon mold for fence gate medallions 3174 Anti-slip pads for boots for use while building fences in muddy conditions

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Correct, also known as a push stick.

Reply to
Rob H.

These are perfectly good answers for upcoming items.

Reply to
Rob H.

Gracious! You mean I got one? Thanks, the fun returns to Usenet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3169) Never seen anything like it before, but at a guess, it is a tool for breaking into locked containers. 3170) A tool for roughly squaring a chunk of wood, perhaps? 3171) Hmm ... larger image out of sequence on the alternate site.

Looks like it has a square on the left-hand end for a tap wrench.

I would say that it is for such things as:

1) Extracting chips from the bottom of a drilled hole. 2) Extracting wood wedged into a keyhole. 3) Removing the parts of a broken tap in a hole being threaded. 4) Extracting the remains of a wooden dowel from a hole, after it has been partially drilled out.

3172) Perhaps a tool for skiving the overlapping ends of a leather drive belt in preparation for gluing.

3173) Looks like a wooden vise for holding a lock designed for going in wooden furniture like old desks and such while the lock is being worked upon.

3174) For arranging flowers?

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

3172, Cigarrette maker?
Reply to
phorbin

3171 Looks like a thing for inserting a plug in a tyre to fix a puncture.
Reply to
F Murtz

Still looking for a reference for 3171 but the rest of the answers for this week have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3171 The guesses as a cleanout tool look good, would also be very good for pulling fibers/threads/cords through a hole. Push through hole, twist clockwise to grab fibers, pull though hole, twist counterclockwise to release.
Reply to
David J. Hughes

Those all sound like good answers but I'm not having any luck in proving any of them.

Reply to
Rob H.