What is it? Set 542

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with numbers 3166 and 3167:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/DlNfQ/new
Rob
Den 24-04-2014 10:14, Rob H. skrev:

3165: Braillie typewriter
--
Uffe

3164 A shock/vibration absorbing mount. We've had one of these in the past.
On 4/24/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:
3166 Wild guess... Based on similarity to tools used for clearing vents on old hot-water radiators, I guess that this is a tool to open/clear a vent associated with a steam boiler.
On 4/24/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:
On 4/24/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.
3163, boat builders level? 3164, totally no clue. 3165, I have never seen one of these in person, and the owners and operators have also never seen one either. I'm about 99.9% sure I know what this is, but I'll withhold my guess, until I see what others write. My comments are enigmatic, so as not to blind others. Just scrolled down and saw the second picture, and now I'm 100% sure. 3166, not sure. I do believe that photography could be a bit better. 3167, not sure 3168 possibly PVC pipe cutter
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I think it is for Braille, but specifically for communicating with someone who is also deaf: the deaf person reads the Braille, rather than the something getting embossed, which would require a mechanism to move the material being embossed in a controlled manner.
Den 24-04-2014 13:31, Mark F skrev:

Agree :-)
--
Uffe

On 4/24/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3163 Inclonometer (angle finder from level) 3165 Brail puncher. Used to make signs. NOt a typewriter, my wife brails for kids and it is a different typewriter. This would probably be used to make the elevator , or room number tiles.
3168 Pipe cutter or glass cutter for a bottle.
--
Jeff

Inclinometer is right but I don't know if it was for a more specific purpose or not.
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:24:05 -0700, Rob H. wrote:

Looks to me to be similar to a roofer's square in some respects. Slightly more up-market and expensive than this one:
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-89762-Roofers-Square-178-x-180mm-/400677133506
FU set to rec.woodworking
--
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they
are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by

/400677133506>

Based on the translations of the words on this device I'm now sure it's for use with some type of artillery, though I couldn't find another one like it on the web. I don't have an answer yet for the brass tool but the rest have been posted here:
Thanks to everyone who answered the piston groove cleaner.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Number 3167 is a piston ring groove cleaner , 3163 is as someone above said an inclinometer , and 3168 is a PVC pipe cutter .
--
Snag

On 4/24/2014 5:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Actually 3168 is a Presto Log cutter used to break the log into smaller pieces to get the fire started.
Paul
Terry Coombs wrote:

After looking at 3168 again , I believe it is used to score terra cotta drain pipe .
--
Snag

3163 - that's a little level on the slider, isn't it? Then the tool is for measuring the angle by which something is tilted off the horizontal or vertical, or could be used to place it at a chosen tilt.
3164 - for binding a place where a heavy cable has been spliced?
3165 - obviously for writing Braille manually.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't _want_ people using Linux for ideological
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net | reasons. I think ideology sucks." -- Torvalds
On 4/24/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I want a 3163. It measures the angle of tilt by sliding it around. Where used, I do not know...
--
pentapus

Yes, that's what the owner said it was for.

Correct

Could be, I still don't know for sure.

Several people have provided this answer, which is definitely correct. Thanks