What is it? Set 541

Page 2 of 2

I'm surprised no one has posted this answer before, since I remember a couple of similar items in the past. It looks like a gunpowder splitting wedge.

Yes, good memory, I posted these five or six years ago, and reposted them now to accompany an answer update for a photo from a couple months past.
They've all been correctly identified this week, thanks to everyone who answered the bike derailleur.
Rob

The example shown is newer one than the one I got in about 1952 and has lower quality.
In particular, the older one was smoother and there was no mold line on the head.
On 4/17/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

room as always
3157, bulb planting tool. Allows the gardener to make a bulb size hole in the soil. 3158, sight adjusting tool for military rifle. 3159, non marring lead head. 3160, flagpole rope tensioner. 3161, handle for old time corn cob skewer 3162, part of automatic seed planting device
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Thanks, I just added this link to my answer.