What is it? Set 537

I need some help with 3135 in this week's set:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Electric heater (unsafe)

Reply to
Stanley Daniel de Liver

Rob H. fired this volley in news:lge9ft029k6 @drn.newsguy.com:

3136 is a home freezer defrosting/cleaning scoop

3138 has just GOT to be a tool for skinning eels!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3133 Pencil Sharpener 3134 Nut Cracker 3135 Cheese Slicer
Reply to
G. Ross

3135 - Pasta maker -

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

3134 - Guessing: A crimper (for fabric, paper, foil, etc.) for making flowers, tufts, specific folds or other similar craft designs, projects. 3133 - Guessing: Truffle shaver

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room as always.

3133, perhaps postage stamp dispenser? 3134, some kind of cutter? 3135, slicer for ballistic launched hard boiled eggs? 3136, scoop of some kind, but for what? 3137, angle finder and C clamp combination. Maybe for making roof truss? 3138, some combination pliers and cutter, but no clue why.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh please go to your pc in your room. And don't come out.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'd be so bored.... nothing to do but sort dirty socks, and post to usenet. You'd get tired of me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess it could be but I couldn't find one like it on the web.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Sounds like a good secondary use for it!

Reply to
Rob H.

It wasn't marked but I think this is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope but it is for use by a woodworker.

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking, as always.

3133) This looks to me like a device for skiving leather belt material to a desired thickness. Is there a spring under the wooden block under the wing nut? If so, then the wing nut is used to adjust the thickness. (The anti-rotation piece on the back suggests this to me.) You could also adjust the thickness by adding shims under the block, if there is not a spring.

Anyway -- it would be held in a vise, and the leather would be drawn through it.

3134) At first view, I thought that the head of the bolt was polished flat and I was seeing a reflection of a surface behind it, but the larger images site shows me that it is concave instead.

Given the compound leverage, and the hefty return spring, I think that it is a rather over-engineered nut cracker.

3135) Your own puzzler.

No electrical terminals, so a non-inductive resistor or heating element does not work.

Two nuts at the top to stretch the wires tight.

Narrow opening at the top, and wide opening at the bottom.

I don't see where the ends of the wire (one on each side, or one spanning both sides, depending) are attached.

So -- I have two pure guesses:

1) It is to stretch (and thus harden) music wire. 2) It is intended to demonstrate the Moiré* effect, more often seen when looking through two layers of window screen -- especially if they at angles to each other, but it can be seen from two sets of parallel wires. It is somewhat evident in the view of the bottom of the assembly. But would be clearer if photographed at a distance so both layers of wire were equally sharp.

The 'é' should show as an 'e' with an accent over it, but not all systems will show extended ASCII characters, nor show them the same on all systems, so I describe it here. :-)

3136) Hmm ... perhaps for skimming dross (oxidized metal and impurities from a pool of molten lead or solder?

3137) Hmm ... part 'A' is not wood, so given the apparent age of the drawing (patent, I presume) it is more likely to be metal, especially given the hex head on the clamp screw. Plastics and wood would deform under the clamp. Part 'C' may be wood, however.

The notch in the pivoting part looks designed for cutting wire, but we never see it pivoted to an angle to expose the other notch which should be there too.

So -- no real guess what it is supposed to do.

3138) It looks, in part, like a rather nasty spring-loaded trap, perhaps for something like a gopher -- or a snake. Perhaps the toothed jaws at the end are for gripping and extracting the remainder of the victim.

Now to post this and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

3133 - Possibly a crude microtome.
Reply to
joeljcarver

[]

Ok, DIY harp doubles as a cheese-grater.

I was thinking of a strainer, but cleaning would be difficult. I note th= e =

protuberances at the top might permit it to be held horizontally off a =

surface, but there's no equivalent on the base. There appears to be a slot at the base that would allow a rectangular it= em =

to be inserted. A picture to emphasise the moir=E9 effect?

Seems more likely

Unlikely to need quite so many passes of the wire

Works OK here!

(rec.puzzles)

-- =

It's a money /life balance.

Reply to
Stanley Daniel de Liver

It's obviously a pasta maker. See earlier posts.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
3135 Since nobody has ID'd this yet, I'll venture a guess: I think this is an Aeolian Harp. I couldn't find any like it, but I'll speculate that with a lot of wires, all the same length, and all under the same tension, if the wind blows through it, it makes a reasonably loud tone.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Alexander Thesoso fired this volley in news:lghpbm$crk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'd tend to agree that it's NOT a pasta cutter. There's no practical way for a pasta cutter to be two-sided like that and get the bits out of the middle cavity.

The fact that it was indeed made-to-purpose, and not cobbled up seems to indicate some commercial value, though. I don't see a lot of market for Aeolean Harps!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Maybe I should repost the link. It's a pasta cutter.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny