What is it? Set 537

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with 3135 in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/l60QW/new
Rob

It's a money /life balance.

3136 is a home freezer defrosting/cleaning scoop
3138 has just GOT to be a tool for skinning eels!
Lloyd
Rob H. wrote:

3134 Nut Cracker     3135 Cheese Slicer
--
 GW Ross

 An attacker must vanquish, a defender
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:39:25 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

3135 - Pasta maker - http://www.fantes.com/7868.html
Sonny
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:39:25 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

3134 - Guessing: A crimper (for fabric, paper, foil, etc.) for making flowers, tufts, specific folds or other similar craft designs, projects.
3133 - Guessing: Truffle shaver
Sonny
On 3/20/2014 4:39 AM, Rob H. wrote:

as always.
3133, perhaps postage stamp dispenser? 3134, some kind of cutter? 3135, slicer for ballistic launched hard boiled eggs? 3136, scoop of some kind, but for what? 3137, angle finder and C clamp combination. Maybe for making roof truss? 3138, some combination pliers and cutter, but no clue why.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/20/2014 9:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And don't come out.

--
Jeff

On 3/20/2014 10:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I'd be so bored.... nothing to do but sort dirty socks, and post to usenet. You'd get tired of me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I guess it could be but I couldn't find one like it on the web.
3135 Since nobody has ID'd this yet, I'll venture a guess: I think this is an Aeolian Harp. I couldn't find any like it, but I'll speculate that with a lot of wires, all the same length, and all under the same tension, if the wind blows through it, it makes a reasonably loud tone.
On 3/20/2014 4:18 PM, Rob H. wrote:
Sponenburgh says...

Correct

Sounds like a good secondary use for it!

It wasn't marked but I think this is correct.

Nope but it is for use by a woodworker.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking, as always.
3133)    This looks to me like a device for skiving leather belt     material to a desired thickness. Is there a spring under the     wooden block under the wing nut? If so, then the wing nut is     used to adjust the thickness. (The anti-rotation piece on the     back suggests this to me.) You could also adjust the thickness     by adding shims under the block, if there is not a spring.
    Anyway -- it would be held in a vise, and the leather would be     drawn through it.
3134)    At first view, I thought that the head of the bolt was polished     flat and I was seeing a reflection of a surface behind it, but     the larger images site shows me that it is concave instead.
    Given the compound leverage, and the hefty return spring, I     think that it is a rather over-engineered nut cracker.
3135)    Your own puzzler.
    No electrical terminals, so a non-inductive resistor or heating     element does not work.
    Two nuts at the top to stretch the wires tight.
    Narrow opening at the top, and wide opening at the bottom.
    I don't see where the ends of the wire (one on each side, or one     spanning both sides, depending) are attached.
    So -- I have two pure guesses:
    1)    It is to stretch (and thus harden) music wire.
    2)    It is intended to demonstrate the Moiré* effect, more         often seen when looking through two layers of window         screen -- especially if they at angles to each other,         but it can be seen from two sets of parallel wires. It         is somewhat evident in the view of the bottom of the         assembly. But would be clearer if photographed at a         distance so both layers of wire were equally sharp.
        The 'é' should show as an 'e' with an accent over it,         but not all systems will show extended ASCII         characters, nor show them the same on all systems, so I         describe it here. :-)
3136)    Hmm ... perhaps for skimming dross (oxidized metal and     impurities from a pool of molten lead or solder?
3137)    Hmm ... part 'A' is not wood, so given the apparent age     of the drawing (patent, I presume) it is more likely to be     metal, especially given the hex head on the clamp screw.     Plastics and wood would deform under the clamp. Part 'C' may be     wood, however.
    The notch in the pivoting part looks designed for cutting wire,     but we never see it pivoted to an angle to expose the other     notch which should be there too.
    So -- no real guess what it is supposed to do.
3138)    It looks, in part, like a rather nasty spring-loaded trap,     perhaps for something like a gopher -- or a snake. Perhaps the     toothed jaws at the end are for gripping and extracting the     remainder of the victim.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

3133 - Possibly a crude microtome.
On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:12:22 -0000, DoN. Nichols

I was thinking of a strainer, but cleaning would be difficult. I note the protuberances at the top might permit it to be held horizontally off a surface, but there's no equivalent on the base. There appears to be a slot at the base that would allow a rectangular item to be inserted. A picture to emphasise the moir effect?

(rec.puzzles)
-- It's a money /life balance.

It's obviously a pasta maker. See earlier posts.

I'd tend to agree that it's NOT a pasta cutter. There's no practical way for a pasta cutter to be two-sided like that and get the bits out of the middle cavity.
The fact that it was indeed made-to-purpose, and not cobbled up seems to indicate some commercial value, though. I don't see a lot of market for Aeolean Harps!
Lloyd
On Friday, March 21, 2014 11:40:39 AM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

> > > I'd tend to agree that it's NOT a pasta cutter. Lloyd
Maybe I should repost the link. It's a pasta cutter. http://www.fantes.com/7868.html
Sonny