What is it? Set 534

Page 2 of 2

For some reason it only allows ten photos per page, there is a link after the last photo that reveals the last item in the set.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3115)    I'll bet that the central pin is spring loaded, so when     pressure is applied, it allows the two blades to contact the     work surface.
    Anyway -- It is held in an old style brace (from "brace and bit"     days), and it is used to cut two concentric circles to form a     ring gasket in a gasket material, which may be leather, cork,     rubber, or even cardboard.
3116)    My guess:
    Intended for holding cylindrical or ball-shaped objects to be     held against a moving sanding surface
3117)    Hmmm ... the two threaded parts on the ends are separate from     the rod, and I suspect that the rod threads into them, based on     the knurled surface near each end.
    I also suspect that the threads securing each end to the rod are     opposite, so when the rod is turned between them, it adjusts the     space between the two ends a bit.
    At a pure guess -- it is a tool for determining the requited     length of stay rods in something like a steam boiler. (A lot of     these join opposite surfaces in a boiler to take the stress of     the high pressure steam.
    At a guessed diameter of the rod of about 1/4", I doubt that it     would be strong enough to be used directly as a stay rod.
3118)    Part of a trap.
    At a guess -- for minnows or some similarly small fish. Take a     mason jar, put something which minnows like inside, screw on the     lid, and sink it in the river. (Put on a string so you can     recover it, of course). Minnow can swim in between the points,     but can't reverse direction to get back out.
3119)    A linkage to set a scale for various products in a basket.     I suspect that it in part compensates for the weight of the     basket. You set the pointer to the amount you want, and lock it     down, and then fill the basket until another pointer points to     an index mark -- or until something shuts off the flow of the     product to the container.
3120)    A device for twisting a few wires or strings together.
    You slide them into the slot, and then push the handle rotating     the slot about one full turn, or perhaps 1-1/2 turn. I think     that it is pretty close to a single turn, counting teeth on the     exposed sections of both rack and pinion.
    Perhaps it is for twisting the neck of a bag to seal it?
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I don't have this tool so I can't check it out but I think you are right about the spring.

No one has answered this one correctly yet.
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

This answer is correct.
says...

Presumably for threads down fairly deep recesses? The ones I've seen are shorter, and turned from hex stock, no need for knurling or the reduced diameter.
Steve

I'm not sure if it's for any particular depth or not, maybe someone else will know.
They have all been answered correctly this week, though I'm still looking for a good reference for the lathe chucks.
Rob