What is it? Set 534

I need some help with 3116 in this week's set:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3115 - Some sort of washer cutter.

3116 - Some sort of post clamp.

3117 - Bicycle wheel axle.

3118 - Wasp trap lid.

Reply to
David B
3116 Guess... A set/collection of chucks for a woodworking lathe. The narrow cones all fit a common headstock. Each is for a different shape of workpiece.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

3115 Hole cutter either for wood, or leather, used in a brace. 3116 Hand/bench held collets for doing wood carvings, and painting small round items or finials.

3117 Threaded rod for a handplane tote.. probably Prentice or Clifton, Stanley did not have that nice a rod.

3119 Sets cutting bar on an old reaper
Reply to
woodchucker

I agree. All have what looks like a morse taper.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

3116 Pipe holder/adapters for pipe organ 3118 mouse trap
Reply to
G. Ross

Posting from the desk top PC in my living room as always.

3115, gasket cutter for bit brace. used by old order Amish to make buggy wheel gaskets. 3116, no clue. 3117, axle from toy car? 3118, early moth trap. This screwed onto a bell jar, the prongs allow ingress, but not as easy egress for the moths. 3119, planting seed dispenser part, from a farm machine. This is the regulator, the dispenser is sold separately. 3120 cow back scratcher adjustment device.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3115: Circle cutter for a hand brace. Can cut both inner and outer diameter at once. Possibly used to cut leather washers. 3119: I believe this is from a threshing machine and allows one to adjust the scale tip for particular grain types.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

3120 Appears to be tool for twisting two wires together. Fence repair tool?
Reply to
G. Ross

Posting from northern USA!

3119 This is the metering bracket from an old seeder that sets the bushels per acre seeded.
Reply to
Ralph

Correct

Close

Reply to
Rob H.

I think this probably correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think 3117 is some sort of torque limiting stud.

3118 is the lid from a mason jar mouse trap.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Good answer!

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, from a Massey Harris machine

Reply to
Rob H.

For some reason it only allows ten photos per page, there is a link after the last photo that reveals the last item in the set.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, it's a picket fence wire twister

Reply to
Rob H.

I was wildly guessing. You mean I got some thing right today? Zounds!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm reaching the conclusion that "a fence tool" is the best possible guess for almost anything!

Reply to
Dr Nick

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3115) I'll bet that the central pin is spring loaded, so when pressure is applied, it allows the two blades to contact the work surface.

Anyway -- It is held in an old style brace (from "brace and bit" days), and it is used to cut two concentric circles to form a ring gasket in a gasket material, which may be leather, cork, rubber, or even cardboard.

3116) My guess:

Intended for holding cylindrical or ball-shaped objects to be held against a moving sanding surface

3117) Hmmm ... the two threaded parts on the ends are separate from the rod, and I suspect that the rod threads into them, based on the knurled surface near each end.

I also suspect that the threads securing each end to the rod are opposite, so when the rod is turned between them, it adjusts the space between the two ends a bit.

At a pure guess -- it is a tool for determining the requited length of stay rods in something like a steam boiler. (A lot of these join opposite surfaces in a boiler to take the stress of the high pressure steam.

At a guessed diameter of the rod of about 1/4", I doubt that it would be strong enough to be used directly as a stay rod.

3118) Part of a trap.

At a guess -- for minnows or some similarly small fish. Take a mason jar, put something which minnows like inside, screw on the lid, and sink it in the river. (Put on a string so you can recover it, of course). Minnow can swim in between the points, but can't reverse direction to get back out.

3119) A linkage to set a scale for various products in a basket. I suspect that it in part compensates for the weight of the basket. You set the pointer to the amount you want, and lock it down, and then fill the basket until another pointer points to an index mark -- or until something shuts off the flow of the product to the container.

3120) A device for twisting a few wires or strings together.

You slide them into the slot, and then push the handle rotating the slot about one full turn, or perhaps 1-1/2 turn. I think that it is pretty close to a single turn, counting teeth on the exposed sections of both rack and pinion.

Perhaps it is for twisting the neck of a bag to seal it?

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols