What is it? Set 532

Page 2 of 2

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3103)    Hmm ... I would like to see the back to see whether there are     accessible nuts to go with the visible screw heads o this side.
    If there are, I would suggest that this might be intended to     have a strip of sandpaper (or emery paper) wrapped around the     center strip and clamped to use it like a file.
3104)    *This* I am sure about. It is a bottle separator for a case of     wine. The necks face alternately to one end and the other, so     the smaller half circles cradle the necks and the larger     half-circles the bottles. These slide into grooves in the     wooden case. There are also separators which are single sided     which go in the bottom and top of the cases.
3105)    I've seen lots of these, but not on a base like that.
    It is the dial for a combination lock as found on safes or     security file cabinets. Three significant numbers plus ending     on zero. Some (The S&G locks) have a toggle knob in the center,     others (like Mosler, which I think that this is) do not.
    This has apparently been mounted on a base to serve as a desk     decoration or a paperweight.
    I'm not sure whether the grid in the center is original, or     perhaps something like part of a silicon wafer used for making     transistors or intergrated circuits and added for decorative     effect. It looks like the center has been bored out on a lathe,     so I suspect that it is not original to the knob.
3106)    This looks like an "I'll be back at X O'clock" reminder,     intended to be nailed onto some wood surface to hold the     setting.
3107)    Looks like cast iron -- of the sort of thing that collectible     kid's toys use to be made of. Not sure what the function of     the hooks on the bottom might be. Could it possibly be a fire     alarm box, or a watchman't key repository?
3108)    A rather specialized camera and a predecessor to one called the     "Widelux". Note (in the drawing) that the film plane is an arc     close to a semi-circle. The lens is shown at an angle in the     photo, and is shown pointing parallel to the front, with a     restrictive slit pointed to the left. In use, a group     (typically a class for a photo or something similar) is arranged     in an arc in front of the camera, the lens is cocked to the     position shown in the drawing (note the 'S'shaped lines gong     through the lens -- those are rubberized fabric to serve as a     light seal around the lens), and then it is released, moving     fairly slowly from one side to the other, with the width of the     slit acting as a shutter. Typically, some joker gets positioned     at the start end of the the arc, and as soon as he sees the lens     pass him by, runs behind the camera and takes his place at the     end of the arc, so he shows up twice in the photo. (I did say     that it moved slowly. :-)
    At a guess -- three or four shots on a single roll of 120 film.
    Here is the more modern version:
    <http://jumboprawn.net/jesse/camera/widelux-worldwide-hq/     And here is an older version:
    <www.mediajoy.com%2Fen%2Fcamera_review%2Fpanoram_kodack%2Findex.html>     but still not the same camera.
    Elsewhere on the same site is a list of cameras which might     qualify, starting with the 1889 Wonder Panoramic, and then 1890     Synchrograph, 1900 Panoram-Kodak (the one above) 1901 Periphoto     and a number of others leading up to the Widelux in 1959, which     is almost certainly too new.
         Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

for "black and red"?
Bill

It isn't any type of score keeper or counter.
On 2/13/2014 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

retracted or missing. 3104, part of a wine rack. Most of it is not shown. 3105, display model of a futuristic space vehicle. That, or spy resistant combination dial for safe. 3106, early watch face remover. 3107, coals holder for early horse drawn carriage. 3108, early film camera
--
.
Christopher A. Young