What is it? Set 527

Page 2 of 3

I simply cannot grasp why Don's comment generates these responses.
Marc Dashevsky wrote:

I don't understand troll-like behavior either.
On 1/10/2014 2:42 AM, Bill wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room as always.
I'm also not understanding. But, that's OK. Lot that I don't understand.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sounds like a good term for it.

These photos were sent from Australia, I was thinking it might be a salesman's sample for a larger press but maybe this is the actual size for the device.

The right end of the tool is ice related.

Good guess!

3078 is for use by an outdoorsman.

3076.. I have a blade brazer similar to the one pictured.
The one I have is larger, has a 120VAC power cord and a selector switch for Off-Lo-Med-Hi on the side. I wasn't able to see any electrical isolation between one side holder and the case, in this week's example.
An electrical model contains a large step-down transformer with the secondary winding typically being only a couple of wraps around the primary winding, so the secondary voltage is very low (similar to a resistance welder).
The projecting arms (to the left and right) align the back edge of the blade in a straight line, and the 2 clamps hold the prepared ends of the bandsaw blade in close contact. A small strip of silver foil was placed in the repair spot, and when the handle was pulled down, the transformer was energized and an anvil of sorts integrated into the handle pressed down to apply pressure to the splice to maintain the proper blade thickness.
--
WB

Thanks for the information, seems pretty similar to the one on my site.
No luck yet identifying the first two items, answers for the other four can be seen here:
Rob

3074 - any chance that it's for harness making .. ? just a wild guess - the photos don't show me enough. John T.
--- ---

    I agree that I can't see any kind of electrical insulation, so it might be that it was heated by a torch instead.
    And in operation, it is somewhat similar to the bandsaw blade welders -- except that it uses silver solder (brazing) instead of resistance welding -- and thus requires overlapping surfaces instead of placing the ends of the bandsaw blade against each other and pumping lots of current through them to melt the ends and fuse them. (After that, they need a grinder to clear off the flash which oozes out. :-)

    As for 3075 -- the old ice trays which I knew had built-in levers to break the ice cubes free of the dividers. I would guess that you could get more trays into a given freezer compartment if the lever were external.
    And for 3078 -- when you said "an outdoorsman", I was thinking that you were implying that it was to be *used* outdoors. I see from the later photo added that it was used with full brass shotshells, not the later paper and then plastic ones. Though I guess that it could be used for all.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 1/10/2014 8:55 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

In the post modern USA, are we still allowed to have guns? I'm in NYS, for example. I don't think proletariat are allowed guns, here.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

    [ ... ]

    Certainly no such restrictions in Virginia, and I'm sure that there are a number of other states where that is true.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 1/10/2014 4:10 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I'm sad that so many wonderful items, no one can remember what they are, or were. It seems such a loss.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

    And at least one other came up with a similar description of its operation.

    Well ... in Austrailia, there is little chance that I could put my hands on it for an examination, then. :-)

    Scraping the ice from block to go into a drink, perhaps?

    The shape of the guides and clamps was what led me to that guess.
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... shotgun shells? Perhaps on a table during clay pigeon shooting, perhaps? Two rows, a double-barreled shotgun and it might be fairly convenient for quick reloads. I don't really know the proper diameters of the various gauges of shells, but that might work.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    I am interested in which newsgroup has the greatest number of correct identifications for each class of objects. I can't develop that information until I know where people are posting from -- since there is no clue in the headers. I provide the information by way of example, hoping that others will do the same.
    I've expanded the wording because of some who post saying "from my computer" or something similarly uninformative.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Maybe we should have a short vote on whether we think your idea is any good before you impose it on us? I have to side with Mike Marlow on this one.
"Bill" answered to this:

I agree with Mike also. Why? Because not everyone posts to all three groups therefore you will have to visit each group individually to get your data. That's a waste of time, IMHO. pdk
On 01/10/2014 08:01 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

Who the fuck cares about the n/g?
Do you know what the item is or not?
If you do, post it. If not, read the other posts.
technomaNge
--
Sheesh!

    [ ... ]

    How many post only in one group, instead of doing a normal "followup", which would go to all three newsgroups? I don't see any in rec.crafts.metalworking -- though I must admit to not specifically looking for that. Granted, I have to deal with my newsreader saying "are you sure?" each time, and suggesting that I set the "Followup-To: " to a single newsgroup -- but if I did that, a number would not see what I post, and perhaps augment my guesses with more knowledge. I *hope* that everybody posts to all three newsgroups.
    And I certainly don't go to the other two newsgroups. I spend enough time on the net as it is, between a few newsgroups, some mailing lists, and private e-mail. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    [ ... ]

    Well ... I'm hardly *imposing* it. I am in no position to force anyone to comply (nor would I *want* to). How much "power" I have is indicated by how many others indicate which newsgroup they are posting from. :-)
    Mostly, I expect that people in specific newsgroups would be more likely to get certain categories of puzzle photos properly identified. For example, I am not a woodworker, and don't expect to get many of the more esoteric woodworking tools correct. But I am a metalworker (hobby level), and am a retired electronics technician (but there is no cross-posting to the electronics newsgroups).
    I am particularly interested in seeing how many of those who find this in the puzzles newsgroup (and who do not read the other newsgroups) get various technical items correctly.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Yes, the "P" word. Funny that you should mention it...

Impose? You must be very susceptible to suggestion. Ignore it if you do not wish to do it.