What is it? Set 526

Page 3 of 3
On 1/2/14, 8:31 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I haven't seen any game boards with such big holes, with metal inserts, or with laminated wood.
A female shopper sees a nicely finished piece of laminated wood with bright brass inserts. The sign says, "For the man who has everything." She asks what it's for. The shopkeeper inserts some 1/4" screwdriver bits, inverts the board, and shows her that they won't fall out. She gladly pays top dollar because it's aesthetically pleasing, it's not mass produced, and it looks useful. The beat-up appearance shows that her husband liked it.
If I had the brainstorm to make such caddies, I'd buy laminated cutting boards to saw up. I'd buy a cribbage board as a guide for drilling. I'd enlarge the holes I intended to use, tape over the rest, and clamp it to my laminated board. Thus it has some resemblance to a cribbage board and to a cutting board.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I did a search on bit holders and didn't see any like the board in question. This page has some game boards with metal inserts:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html/?_nkw=brass%20cribbage%20board
As for the larger holes, maybe whoever made the board had some extra quarter inch metal inserts and wanted to use them. For now I'm sticking with the Euchre board theory until some evidence comes along that points in a different direction.
The rest of them have all been correctly identified this week:
I'm still not sure about the ice pick type item, with the tip broken off it's hard to say for certain what it was for. I'll pass along all of the suggestions to the owner.
Thanks everyone!
Rob
On 1/3/14, 4:44 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I've googled for game boards and haven't found any with two rows and an array at each end.
If it was made from a discarded cutting board, perhaps it was to avoid paying $556.69 for a 24-hole board that looks functionally the same.
<http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4886-24-piece-master-router-bit-set-14-inch-shank-by-amana-tool.aspx
That would explain the pattern of the mystery item. The single rows would be for larger routers.
The metal inserts may have been to protect the shanks from rusting after prolonged contact with possibly damp wood.
On 1/2/2014 3:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3067. Specifically a "Metal Lumber" cutter for cutting the metal angle iron that is used for building warehouse style storage in combination with 2x4's and plywood for the storage surfaces.
Typically the opposites side has a flat surface perpendicular to the blade with an indexing pin to align the holes in the "metal lumber" so that when you cut the material the pieces can be made the exact same distance with out measuring.
The link shows the cutter with a piece of metal lumber on the opposites side.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/QJYAAMXQgb1RRpi0 /$T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc3nCBRRpiz2svQ~~60_35.JPG
I have cut and built hundreds of bins using the is cutter.

BRRpiz2svQ~~60_35.JPG

Thanks! Looks like you nailed another one, I'll pass this along to the owner of it.
On 1/2/2014 8:43 AM, Rob H. wrote:

In case he wants to know where to get the material for cutting and assembly we used to buy this brand material specifically.
http://www.rel.u-szeged.hu/store/metal_lumber?shelving=1

Ok, I'll forward this link to the owner of the tool. I found a similar cutter in their catalog.
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:05:30 AM UTC-6, Rob H. wrote:

3070 - I think it's a custom made artist's brush holder
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Good thought. Maybe, more generally, a bit holder? That might help explain why there aren't any far into the center?
Bill

3067 is a dexion angle cutter. That's the only one I recognise.
Steve

    Posting in the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking -- no matter which of the three cross-posted ones you see it in.
3067)    *This* one I *know*.
    It is for cutting structural angle iron to length. (Usually the     kind which has perforations along its length to bolt things to.
3068)    To start with -- before going to the larger images website,     this has the look of telephone wiring.
    A pity -- only the first of the images of this is on the     *larger* site. I would really have liked to see the other two     images at higher resolution -- especially the second one with     the relay contacts. O.K. I can zoom in enough. The contacts     do not look designed for either high voltage or high current.
    It appears to be two relays, each of which switch the outermost     two terminals between the next two for the upper terminal and     the two nearest the middle for the lower terminal -- working     both ways in from the ends.
    O.K. The three upper terminals are the connections to the relay     coils, which are the black columns above the multi-terminal     board, and below the upper terminal board. Center is probably     common to the two relays.
    And the relay contacts are in the glass protective housing below.
    Still likely to be either telephone, or perhaps telegraph signal     switching gear -- especially given the obvious lack of high     voltage or high current capability.
3069)    Looks like a dispenser for something at least partially     cylindrical. Size is hard to judge, but it might work for     something like .38 special handgun cartridges. Likely not for     .45 Auto.
3070)    No provisions for wiring on the back, so I guess that it is     a game board -- something like cribbage? Not sure whether it     has enough holes for that game -- I've never played it.
3071)    I've never seen one quite like this before, but it is obviously     a circle cutter to go in a brace and bit type drill. (The     tapered square head at the top is a giveaway.)
3072)    Looks like a wrench for rotating unfinished wood of say up     to 4" diameter or so -- perhaps with the bark still on.. The     spikes would not work well in metals -- nor too well with     plastics.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail