What is it? Set 525

Page 3 of 3

Yes, that's exactly what it says on it.
3062 - I am reminded of dialogue from the movie "The Rocketeer":
"How do I look?" "Like a hood ornament."
I think it *is* a hood ornament, but one that also serves as a thermometer for engine temperature.
3063 - Aircraft navigation aid, the sort of thing they used before radio-based navigation was available.
--
Mark Brader | "Opening a monitor case is not for the inexperienced
Toronto | or the faint of heart, unless you need

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always. Which newsgroup are *you* finding this in of the three to which these puzzles are cross-posted?
3061)    Hmm ... nicely made brass or bronze work.
    The thumbscrew adjusts the friction between the arms of the 'X',     and presumably also the friction which allows them to rotate.
    It could be something like a spool for paying out string, or     perhaps a tool for transferring angles.
    I would like a better look at the details of the interconnection     of the arms -- and of course this one does not happen to have     larger images offered. :-)
3062)    This one is a temperature gauge built into a radiator cap from     the time when the radiator cap protruded above the hood of a car.
    I don't know whether this may also include a pressure gauge, and     I don't see any signs of this in the patent drawings.
    It also includes a logo for the car maker. I'm not sure who,     but I suspect that it is not the Rolls Royce "Winged lady".
3063)    Some sort of directional sign poured from concrete. Not sure     why it is there -- pointing to some kind of historical marker     or something similar, perhaps?
    And it may be large enough to be easily seen from the air.
3064)    Based on a recent item, I would say that this is some kind of     universal tool for a wagon-maker or to be carried for on-the-road     repairs to a wagon. The center has the same kind of square     drive which is used for the hub nut in a wagon wheel, which is     recessed inside the hub. Aside from that -- it has two sizes of     square wrenches, an nipper/wire cutter on the side, another wire     cutter between the square wrench jaws, perhaps a re-threading     feature in the end, not sure why one of the handles is bent, but     it may simply be a limit to how far you can close it.
    O.K. Given the winged thumbnut to close it I guess that it is a     limit for the stroke.
3065)    Not enough views to really tell, but I think that it might be     a combination of a pen and a cigarette lighter.
    Or, it may be that there is a sharp hardened point, and it is     struck by a mechanism when the pocket clip lever is operated.
3066)    Now -- *this* one I am sure about. It is a a sharpener for a     set of cork borers, used in a chemistry lab to make holes     through corks to pass glass tubing through. You slide the end     of the brass tubing over the tapered body, hold the edge of the     hinged knife blade against it, and rotate it to put a fresh edge     on the bevel.
    The borers are stored nested -- and each has a T-handle at the     end opposite the cutting end.
    There is also a solid rod stored in the smallest one, to push     the cut out cork out of whichever size you just used.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
They have all been correctly identified this week, the answers can be seen here: