What is it? Set 524

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with number 3059 in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
3055 Gotta answer quick... Almost everyone will recognize this. It is a telephone magneto/generator. Originally used to generate ringing current in crank phones. Later used as a prank gadget to shock people.
On 12/19/2013 4:53 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Correct
On 12/19/2013 2:55 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

I used one with two wires in the creek water to catch crawdads for fish bait.
Paul
On 12/19/2013 5:55 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

Guess I missed that one. Knew it was a crank generator, but didn't know the used purpose.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/19/2013 4:53 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Yes, this one was patented in 1877
Rob H. wrote:

That one looks like it wouldn't be that easy to use. Looks like you turn the crank to peel but then have to push the apple through the coring/sectioning section. Bet that gets old real quick with the lack of leverage.
--
Steve W.

overripe, bruised and soft.
Pears too.
We use the version sold by Lee Valley.
They're great appliances for getting fruit peeled and sliced for drying or pie making.

3055 Yup... we called 'em "worm jumpers", too. Just an old telephone ringer magneto.
3056 Knife (and presumably chisel) sharpener jig for a bench grinder. Blade clamps in the flap, setscrews control depth of cut, flap slides along the rails.
3057 looks like an expanding collet for a small pin vise or a mechanical pencil.
3058 ice chipper/shave?
3059 GOTTA be for hanging a carcass of some sort. They go in a cavity, they spring out, they LOCK, and they hang and swivel. Gotta be for a bird... gotta find it!
3060 Yep... appler.
LLoyd

This answer is correct.

Yep, for a mechanical pencil

Nope

Could be, I haven't been able to prove any of the guesses for this device.
On 2013-12-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    I think the latter, though I just posted a suggestion that it is a collet for a rotary tool like a Dremel or Foredom. But the extra view which was only in the "larger" page shows the ridges in it, so I now believe that it was specifically from a drafting pencil, which held larger diameter "leads" than normal mechanical pencils did. It was spring loaded, and you pushed the button on the end to allow the "lead" to slide down so the sharpener could re-point it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Rob H. wrote:

3057 is a collet from either a Dremel or a Foredom tool . 3058 looks like a tool to clean paint brushes and rollers . And 3059 looks like it might be used for pulling sleeve bearings out of holes .
--
Snag

Collet is correct but it's from a Koh-I-Noor pencil

Nope, this one is a kitchen tool

Another possible answer for this one
Rob H. wrote:

3059 Is an internal thread chaser. If you've got an internal thread that has chips or dirt in it, you would use it to clean those threads out with this device prior to screwing something in. You can see the leaf springs which expand the points outward.
My dad had one for use on his lathe or mill, as I recall.
Rich

I think it could be pressed into that service, but it has no resemblance to any chasers I've ever seen. The points aren't 'points', there is no handle (it's designed to hang and swivel), and the lock would serve no purpose in that application.
Rob, I believe that is an adjustable gambrel for hanging birds for smoking.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

shoot... I meant to say, they're not wedge-shaped points, nor at a vee- thread angle, and they aren't even exactly opposite each other.
OF COURSE, they're "points".
Lloyd

I'm starting to think this tool was hand forged, if so it might remain a mystery, but I'll pass all of the guesses on to the owner of it.
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Lloyd, looking closer at the photograph, I see that each leg terminates in a double prong. I didn't notice that the first time. Not quite what I thought it was.
Rich

Looking further at the 'works', it appears to be designed to just push into a cavity, then grip tightly by shoving in the prongs as it's pulled back. It could be a gambrel... it could be a "Lewis" for lifting hollow blocks of something fairly soft.
Lloyd