What is it? Set 522

I need some help with number 3046 in this week's set:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3046 tractor linkage?

Reply to
Stanley Daniel de Liver

A bit of confidende this time:

3043. a spring compressor, I think for valve springs. 3044. OSHA required safety cap for rebar 3045. For planting seedlings?. 3046. fire plug wrench. 3047. no good idea decorative pie fluter? 3048. carring case for horse shoes and pins?
Reply to
DanG
3044 I'll guess that this is a bottle cap un-screwer. Push down on a (reasonably narrow size range) screw-top on a bottle and twist to open it. Doesn't look like it would work too well unless the cap has ridges.

3035 An even less well informed guess: An agricultural implement to pick some shallow root veggie. Push down with foot near the shaft, until it is deeper than the root. Then step on the flap to grasp it. Then pull up, while not falling over while standing on one foot.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

3047 looks like a butter curler (cf.
PuzzleScot
3046 looks as though it's use may be similar to a fire hydrant wrench.

3048 I'm fairly sure it's a container for carrying battery cleaning solution and acid/electrolyte in separate cavities. The pockets at the end are provided for storing the hygrometer, cleaning brushes ect.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3043, reminds me a bit of a pallet puller. 3044, some kind of plug to cover a hole? 3045, big candle snuffer? whoops, see the second photo. Post hole digger, maybe. 3046, this is a pretty old one. I'm sure of what it is, and will leave it for others to say. Modern ones have a different tip, on the "head" but serve the same function. I personally own a modern version of this. 3047, nice wooden handle. Beyond that, no clue. 3048, no clue.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think this is right, it's difficult to tell from the photo but I believe it's for five sided nuts.

This answer is correct, on the side it said "battery kit"

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, that's not it

Reply to
Rob H.

This first part is correct

But not for picking, it's for the opposite

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Good answer

Yes, but not for seedlings

Consensus says that this is right

Neither of these two

Reply to
Rob H.

Sure looks similar.... the one pictured appears to have seen some service.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3043 Spreader for something 3044 Fencepost cap 3045 Planter
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It is a fire hydrant wrench. I lived in the Bronx in the Summer when I was a kid. There was no AC except in the movie theaters. Somewhere someone would come up with a wrench. Nothing like a spray from a hydrant. Of course the cops or FD would come and turn the hydrant off. With thousands of Hydrants opened illegally, the water pressure would drop, hindering fire fighting.

Reply to
willshak

3045 Potato planter
Reply to
Ralph

You nailed it!

Reply to
Rob H.

I heard something about sprayer caps, they could use. Some water flow, but not wide open.

I'd think some of the building owners could put a cold only shower head out front, and help the kids keep cool that way. But, that would run up the owner's water bill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now days, I've heard them called hydrants. But, it's the same concept. Around me (western NY) they have five pointed lug to turn, a very, very few are four pointed. This one does four or five.

The larger hoses have two types of lug to allow the use of a tool to tighten or loosen. This one does pin lugs, though there are rocker lugs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3048 "Old" Automotive battery service box, Holds water and the two holes on top are for the syringe/hydrometer to fit into. Side pockets hold battery pliers, post cleaners etc.
Reply to
Leon

Seed potatoes?