What is it? Set 521

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3038 The structure sort-of looks like a sleeve gun. A quick-draw holdout pistol that is hidden in a sleeve and somehow is spring pushed into someone's hand. But, there are several features that make me wonder if this is possible... It is kinda long, I don't see mounting facilities, and there would seem to be a good chance of it self cocking and firing if the pistol were pushed out of a sleeve.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3037. This is a part of an exercise device for English Boxer dogs. The dog sits on the wide end, and the metal screw on the end is used to connect to an oscillating shimmy shaft. 3038, this is a reflection of a flash camera. The metal thing looks like a buggy spring from the horse carriage era. 3039, this is a Korean Kim-Chee pot. Used by midgit Koreans. 3040, poker chip holder for old time poker players. 3041, farmer's hay sampler. The combination of knife and fork allows the farmer to take a sample out of a hay bale, to take to Agway for moisture content sampling. 3042, type setters hammers. Used to adjust the lead spacing bars used in type frames.

Orange: Orange you glad I didn't say "no clue" again?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Correct

This was on display in a glass case, I shot the photo but didn't measure it. I guessed at its length but I think I over estimated, so it's probably at least a few inches shorter. I think it's probably missing a mounting strap or two.

Possibly, but most likely no one was really concerned about misfires with this particular gun.

Reply to
Rob H.

Here's another one that someone sent in that I'm not planning to post, looks like it might be for a key chain. Is it just for advertising, or does it have a purpose, maybe for opening paint cans or creasing wall paper?

Rob H.

Looks jalapeno shape. No known use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Geez love the grain on those hammer handles. Those look like tack hammers for starting little nails... But since the hammer size goes up, probably not..

Reply to
woodchucker

3038 just has to be one of those spring-loaded rigs which help a gambler (or potential muggee :-)) produce a Derringer apparently from thin air. It attaches to the wrist and forearm, and some particular hand movement causes the mechanism to pop out, placing the gun in the gambler's (or potential mugee's) hand. 3042 look like some kind of panel pin hammers, the small end being used to drive pins into the deep parts of various mouldings where the round end could never go.
Reply to
Aardvark

3041 Is an ice tool. Pick + Shave + ?
Reply to
Leon Fisk

It's so the head can be used as a wedge when the handle breaks due to the grain running the wrong way. ;~) Art

Reply to
Artemus

If you haven't found it already, these pictures of the slide mechanism for the old Wild Wild West Show may be of interest:

or

Leon Fisk

Yes, the owner says that they are for starting a nail in a tight spot or when using a short nail.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, since the one that I posted was also a Hollywood prop, it was used in the film Maverick.

Reply to
Rob H.

Ice pick is correct but the other part is not an ice shave.

Reply to
Rob H.

I'm not a wood person. I was struck by the interesting grain pattern, and also thought there might be an issue with grain direction... I suspect there is more to the story.

Is there some>> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Ice scoop

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I think that's tiger maple. Sometimes called fiddle back maple because that grain pattern makes a really nice violin back. I read somewhere that the unusual grain pattern is caused by a fungus.

Reply to
jim

Yep, that's it.

Reply to
Rob H.

I believe you are right about it being tiger maple, I took the photos but don't remember if the type of wood was mentioned in the description that was next to these hammers.

Reply to
Rob H.

3037) I see this as used to indicate the heeling tiling to one side or the other) of a sailboat. Put the bent nail in a notch, and the black end will point to a scale indicating the angle.

3038) Quite illegal to use (in the USA, at least), and it looks to have been made too recently, given the clear plastic which appears to be part of it.

A "spring gun" -- a trap intended to shoot a poacher or a burglar. In this case, I think burglar. Not enough of it is shown to show the details of the triggering mechanism. but the Derringer is triggered by some motion of the box (e.g. trying to steal it), or by tripping over a wire run into the box from the path which a poacher would take.

It appears to have a spring system to accommodate the recoil of the Derringer. A Derringer normally has two shots before reloading (you can see the two barrels, one above the other), so I wonder whether the recoil mechanism may be part of a system for automatically re-cocking it to allow a second shot after the first is fired.

Normally, it would be closed (more wood) to make it look like something harmless, and perhaps worth stealing.

Or -- it it possible that it is a hidden weapon tucked up the sleeve, and a certain motion of the hand causes it to be extended into the grip of the owner. In that case, the glass or plastic is not part of the device, and is just storage for it, and likely for powder, caps, and bullets.

3039) Looks like an electrical insulator -- likely for a fairly low voltage outdoors power line.

Is the hole through, or blind? If through, I would expect the unglazed part to be down.

3040) Hmm ... the reservoir suggests that it is intended to keep something warm, but the construction of copper says that it is not going to work for very long -- too much thermal conductivity.

The slots suggest that airflow is needed, so it is perhaps for transporting small live critters -- mice, baby chicks, or something similar.

No lid -- perhaps it is to rest over a double row of sprouts, and the warmth is still needed?

3041) Part of it looks like something for killing moles or some other subterranean critters. not sure what function the open scoop part serves.

3042) Pretty handles. Unusual that the handles are so square. No fork in the projection, so it serves as some form of wedge, perhaps for opening a box -- perhaps not.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols