What is it? Set 521

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/sawaf
Rob
3038 The structure sort-of looks like a sleeve gun. A quick-draw holdout pistol that is hidden in a sleeve and somehow is spring pushed into someone's hand. But, there are several features that make me wonder if this is possible... It is kinda long, I don't see mounting facilities, and there would seem to be a good chance of it self cocking and firing if the pistol were pushed out of a sleeve.
On 11/29/2013 5:15 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Correct

This was on display in a glass case, I shot the photo but didn't measure it. I guessed at its length but I think I over estimated, so it's probably at least a few inches shorter. I think it's probably missing a mounting strap or two.

Possibly, but most likely no one was really concerned about misfires with this particular gun.
On 29 Nov 2013 06:20:19 -0800

If you haven't found it already, these pictures of the slide mechanism for the old Wild Wild West Show may be of interest:
http://www.proparchives.com/television/television-pre-1970s/western/the-wild-wild-west/robert-conrad-derringer-fx-slide-the-wild-wild-west
or
http://bit.ly/18NUh60
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Good answer, since the one that I posted was also a Hollywood prop, it was used in the film Maverick.
On 11/29/2013 5:15 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3037. This is a part of an exercise device for English Boxer dogs. The dog sits on the wide end, and the metal screw on the end is used to connect to an oscillating shimmy shaft. 3038, this is a reflection of a flash camera. The metal thing looks like a buggy spring from the horse carriage era. 3039, this is a Korean Kim-Chee pot. Used by midgit Koreans. 3040, poker chip holder for old time poker players. 3041, farmer's hay sampler. The combination of knife and fork allows the farmer to take a sample out of a hay bale, to take to Agway for moisture content sampling. 3042, type setters hammers. Used to adjust the lead spacing bars used in type frames.
Orange: Orange you glad I didn't say "no clue" again?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/29/2013 9:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/29/2013 5:15 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Geez love the grain on those hammer handles. Those look like tack hammers for starting little nails... But since the hammer size goes up, probably not..
--
Jeff

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 02:15:02 -0800, Rob H. wrote:

3038 just has to be one of those spring-loaded rigs which help a gambler (or potential muggee :-)) produce a Derringer apparently from thin air. It attaches to the wrist and forearm, and some particular hand movement causes the mechanism to pop out, placing the gun in the gambler's (or potential mugee's) hand.
3042 look like some kind of panel pin hammers, the small end being used to drive pins into the deep parts of various mouldings where the round end could never go.
--
"I am not made like anyone I have seen; I dare believe I am not made
like anyone in existence. If I am not better, at least I am different."

Yes, the owner says that they are for starting a nail in a tight spot or when using a short nail.
Rob
On 29 Nov 2013 02:15:02 -0800

3041 Is an ice tool. Pick + Shave + ?
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Ice pick is correct but the other part is not an ice shave.

Ice scoop
Robert

Yep, that's it.

to the grain running the wrong way. ;~) Art
I'm not a wood person. I was struck by the interesting grain pattern, and also thought there might be an issue with grain direction... I suspect there is more to the story.
Is there someone out there who can identify the type of wood and enlighten us on the grain direction?
On 11/29/2013 2:47 PM, Artemus wrote:

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

I think that's tiger maple. Sometimes called fiddle back maple because that grain pattern makes a really nice violin back. I read somewhere that the unusual grain pattern is caused by a fungus.

I believe you are right about it being tiger maple, I took the photos but don't remember if the type of wood was mentioned in the description that was next to these hammers.

3037)    I see this as used to indicate the heeling tiling to one     side or the other) of a sailboat. Put the bent nail in a notch,     and the black end will point to a scale indicating the angle.
3038)    Quite illegal to use (in the USA, at least), and it looks to     have been made too recently, given the clear plastic which     appears to be part of it.
    A "spring gun" -- a trap intended to shoot a poacher or a     burglar. In this case, I think burglar. Not enough of it is     shown to show the details of the triggering mechanism. but the     Derringer is triggered by some motion of the box (e.g. trying to     steal it), or by tripping over a wire run into the box from the     path which a poacher would take.
    It appears to have a spring system to accommodate the recoil of     the Derringer. A Derringer normally has two shots before     reloading (you can see the two barrels, one above the other), so     I wonder whether the recoil mechanism may be part of a system     for automatically re-cocking it to allow a second shot after the     first is fired.
    Normally, it would be closed (more wood) to make it look like     something harmless, and perhaps worth stealing.
    Or -- it it possible that it is a hidden weapon tucked up the     sleeve, and a certain motion of the hand causes it to be     extended into the grip of the owner. In that case, the glass or     plastic is not part of the device, and is just storage for it,     and likely for powder, caps, and bullets.
3039)    Looks like an electrical insulator -- likely for a fairly low     voltage outdoors power line.
    Is the hole through, or blind? If through, I would expect the     unglazed part to be down.
3040)    Hmm ... the reservoir suggests that it is intended to keep     something warm, but the construction of copper says that it is     not going to work for very long -- too much thermal     conductivity.
    The slots suggest that airflow is needed, so it is perhaps for     transporting small live critters -- mice, baby chicks, or     something similar.
    No lid -- perhaps it is to rest over a double row of sprouts,     and the warmth is still needed?
3041)    Part of it looks like something for killing moles or some other     subterranean critters. not sure what function the open scoop     part serves.
3042)    Pretty handles. Unusual that the handles are so square.     No fork in the projection, so it serves as some form of wedge,     perhaps for opening a box -- perhaps not.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail