What is it? Set 520

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with number 3034 this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/Snk2C
Rob
On 11/21/13 4:36 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3031: Christmas tree caltrop, for use on sand.

Caltrop is correct, I didn't know this model was called a Christmas tree.
On 11/21/13 8:35 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The OSS used to drop them from airplanes in WWII.
3035 As all the slots are different sizes, and it is not particularly rugged, and I think I can see different markings near each slot... I'll guess this is a gauge, perhaps a wire gauge.
On 11/21/2013 4:36 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Nope, not a wire gauge

3031 "Caltrops", (a tire puncture trap)
3032 A hose or tubing fitting wrench? 3033 ?? 3034 cable or pipe support to fit tight against a bulkhead... marine duty? 3035 looks to be a checker for the sizes of various washers or o-rings. Hangs on wall, leaves space to fit devices through the slots. 3036 cap piece of the Washington Monument
LLoyd

Yes

Nope

I was also guessing pipe support but haven't verified it.

That's not it

Good answer!

3032 an old basin wrench

Nope
Rob H. wrote:

3033 Glideslope antenna. Mounted in the nose of an airplane to receive the signal for the glideslope component of the ILS landing system.
Largely superceded by simpler, more efficient antennas these days.
Rich

DAMN! I knew I'd seen one of those inside the nosecone before! (and me, a pilot!...<duh!>)
And the 'basin' wrench... I knew that name, somewhere in the back of my head.
Lloyd

Glideslope antenna is correct, model 37P-4.
Rob H. wrote:

3032 A tooth extractor.
--
 GW Ross

 Fall seven times, stand up eight

Correct, it's also known as a dental tooth key.

Neither of these
On 11/21/13 4:36 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3035: 8 slots in one direction and 8 in the other. I wonder if it was used to check coins, particularly where coins from more than one nation were in circulation. If you can't read what's stamped on the coin, you see which slot fits the thickness and diameter. If you can read it but think it may be counterfeit, you check the size with the gauge, then weigh it.

Very good, you are correct that it was used to check coins, though your guesses on how it was used are not in agreement with the patent.

I think you check the coin for the best fit according to the slots, then you'll be able to calculate it's weight where no trustworthy scales are available.
Steve

You are correct that it's for checking the weight of a coin, some of the slots on this device are for gold coins, the others for silver.
Still not sure about number 3034 but the rest have been correctly identified this week:
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to post on Thursday next week since it's Thanksgiving, I might opt for Wednesday or Friday. When I make a decision I'll post it here and let everyone know.
Rob