What is it? Set 519

Page 2 of 2
On 11/14/2013 4:31 AM, Rob H. wrote:

#3025 - For setting type (in "type-setting)?
Bill

3025)    Interesting device.
    The combination of the rectangular openings in the brass sheet,     and the grooved brass or wood plate below it suggest to me a     device to hold type (I've used rubber type of various sizes     which matches to a grooved rubber holder, and this might be for     metal type instead.
    The spacing is a bit wide for normal purposes, but perhaps for     setting some kind of puzzle answer it could work.
3026)    My first thought on seeing the image (before I zoomed into it)     was one of horror, because it looked somewhat like a Curta     "peppermill" calculator which had been gutted.
    However, looking tat it closer, it looks like some kind of spray     head which screws onto the end of a garden hose -- or onto a     pipe.
3027)    That looks painful!
    Perhaps intended to close on some kind of fruit to split it     apart.
3028)    A device to jack two edges apart. Perhaps the right-hand end     goes against a wall and the left-hand edge goes against hardwood     floor to squeeze it tight against the previous one prior to     nailing it in place.
    Or perhaps for compressing hand-set movable type?
3029)    This looks like a high-voltage coil driven by a vibrator, and     switched on and off by a lock and key. Perhaps intended to make     a burglar's entry via windows too painful to be completed.
    It would not be likely to be on the outside of a door to make     entry safe, because there appears to be nothing that the key     does which would latch the cover over the vibrator contact     adjustment to protect it from being disabled by something as     simple as putting a piece of paper or other insulating material     between the contacts.
3030)    A pity. This number should be allocated to a specific rifle,     or a part for such a rifle. :-)
    Anyway -- the crank turns a gear (visible as a disc with its rim     covered) which turns another pinion gear which engages the rack     gear in the edge of the bar.
    The padded loop rests against the edge of something like     furniture, and the end with the hook looks designed to pull     nails -- or I guess that it could also be used to set the     triangular points in the frame of a window to hold the glass     pane in the frame prior to being sealed with putty.
    I would like a different angle of view of the hook, but as I     said, it looks like it can pull nails.
    Hmm ... at 16" length, it could also be for pulling the sides of     a frame (perhaps a picture frame, perhaps something else)     together during gluing, nailing, or screwing.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

enough for the spikes to pierce the shell, lift off top shell, PROFIT !

Correct, it was for use on soft boiled eggs.
They've all been answered correctly this week, an update to my post can be seen here:
Rob
On 11/14/2013 4:31 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC as always. For some reason, rec crafts metalworking isn't showing messages, for me. So,I'm reading rec puzzles at the moment.
3025 looks familiar, but I can't remember what it is. 3026 cutaway view of something. Water filter for under the sink, maybe? 3027, we've had this one before, and I can't remember. Maybe a puncture for grapefruit juicer lovers. 3028, totally no clue. 3029, no clue. 3030, no clue.
(now to read the answers... )
--
.
Christopher A. Young