What is it? Set 518

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the first item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/VlL7n
Rob
3020 Another planinmeter. We had one a while ago. Used to measure the area of an arbitrary closed figure on a flat surface. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter
3023 Go/NoGo thickness gauge. (guess)
3024 Plane for shaping the end of a wooden cart axle. This is a guess, so I have no idea what the specific name would be.
On 11/7/2013 5:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Correct

Nope, this one is for a purpose that would be difficult to guess

You are right that it's for working on axles

3019 looks to be a limited-range pressure/vacuum gauge, perhaps for a spirits still, measuring only +-3in. of mercury. It's spout could be pushed into a grommetted bung hole or the end of a rubber tube to take the measurement.
3020 YAP. (yet another planimeter), but this one specifically a planimeter in the form of a fixed-radius compass.
3021 broken keys exactor set.
3022 A sump cover for a rain spout?
3023 A spoke wrench?
3024 large round tenoner... maybe for axles, but maybe 'tree' making.
LLoyd

Correct, for use by a locksmith to remove broken keys
On 11/7/2013 2:44 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Allow me to hang my head in shame, for missing this one.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Well, the picture isn't very good, I wasn't sure if anyone would get it.
On 11/7/2013 6:08 PM, Rob H. wrote:

After being a locksmith since 1986, I'd oughta got that. It did occur to me, but I wasn't familiar with those tips. I do use key extractors now and again, but not that design.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Rob H. wrote:

3021 Dental tools for packing amalgam into cavitys.
--
 GW Ross

 If I had anything witty to say, I

Some more wild guesses. 3019. I think this could be a vacuum gauge for use with a steam powered engine. Very likely maritime. 3022. A trivet arrangement which clamps to the flue/chimney of a solid fuel burner. To keep stuff warm. 3024. A woodworkers (or bodgers) rounder, aka rotary plane. Rough shape a bit of stock and wind this tool along it to produce a dowel or round rod. Nick.

You're probably on the right track about it being maritime.

Correct

Yes, the owner called it a rounding plane.
On 11/7/2013 5:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.
3019 looks a bit like a pitot (PEE-tow) gage. Used to read the velocity of air or water, based on how high it pushes the liquid (mercury, most likely) from one tube to the other. The water dept uses a pitot gage to check the flow of fire hydrants. 3020, totally no clue. But, that sure is a nice matching case. 3021, the handles remind me of lock picks. More likely a tooth pick set for obsessive compulsives. 3022, no clue. Maybe for keeping a pot off the coals? 3023, bicycle spoke wrench. That, or midget valve wrench for acetylene tanks. 3024, I somehow guess it's for cutting ends on wooden logs, which are used for early water pipes. I saw some thing resembling this at Valentown museum, at Victor, NY.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

3023 looks like some sort of spoke wrench.

It _is_ a wrench but not for spokes, though it is for use on tires but for a purpose that is not well known.
Rob H. wrote:

Ice racing studs<like needles actually> ?
--
Snag

On 11/7/13 2:48 PM, Rob H. wrote:

_Modern__Blacksmithing_, 1904, chapter 4:
"When a wheel has bolts every smith knows that it will make trouble for him if he don't get the tire back where it was."
"When bolting a wheel the tire will be out of place unless the tire has been shrunk alike on both sides of the fellow plates. A smith used to setting tires will be able to get the holes almost to a perfect fit."
Rob H. wrote:

3023 I also agree this is a spoke wrench. I don't believe it is a go-nogo tool. I used go-nogo tools when I was a grinder in a sewing machine manufacturing company back in 1958-61. Wilcox and Gibbs.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

#3019- seems like a pressure guage (reminds me of "inches of Mercury"). I'll investigate a little more.
Bill

#3024 -- A die for making a wooden screw?
On 11/7/2013 4:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3024. A die for making threads on wooden dowels. These were the screws for wooden vices and presses.
LdB