What is it? Set 518

I need some help with the first item this week:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3020 Another planinmeter. We had one a while ago. Used to measure the area of an arbitrary closed figure on a flat surface.

3023 Go/NoGo thickness gauge. (guess)

3024 Plane for shaping the end of a wooden cart axle. This is a guess, so I have no idea what the specific name would be.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

3019 looks to be a limited-range pressure/vacuum gauge, perhaps for a spirits still, measuring only +-3in. of mercury. It's spout could be pushed into a grommetted bung hole or the end of a rubber tube to take the measurement. 3020 YAP. (yet another planimeter), but this one specifically a planimeter in the form of a fixed-radius compass. 3021 broken keys exactor set.

3022 A sump cover for a rain spout?

3023 A spoke wrench?

3024 large round tenoner... maybe for axles, but maybe 'tree' making.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3021 Dental tools for packing amalgam into cavitys.
Reply to
G. Ross

Some more wild guesses.

3019. I think this could be a vacuum gauge for use with a steam powered engine. Very likely maritime. 3022. A trivet arrangement which clamps to the flue/chimney of a solid fuel burner. To keep stuff warm. 3024. A woodworkers (or bodgers) rounder, aka rotary plane. Rough shape a bit of stock and wind this tool along it to produce a dowel or round rod. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3019 looks a bit like a pitot (PEE-tow) gage. Used to read the velocity of air or water, based on how high it pushes the liquid (mercury, most likely) from one tube to the other. The water dept uses a pitot gage to check the flow of fire hydrants. 3020, totally no clue. But, that sure is a nice matching case. 3021, the handles remind me of lock picks. More likely a tooth pick set for obsessive compulsives. 3022, no clue. Maybe for keeping a pot off the coals? 3023, bicycle spoke wrench. That, or midget valve wrench for acetylene tanks. 3024, I somehow guess it's for cutting ends on wooden logs, which are used for early water pipes. I saw some thing resembling this at Valentown museum, at Victor, NY.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3023 looks like some sort of spoke wrench.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

3023 I also agree this is a spoke wrench. I don't believe it is a go-nogo tool. I used go-nogo tools when I was a grinder in a sewing machine manufacturing company back in 1958-61. Wilcox and Gibbs.
Reply to
willshak

#3019- seems like a pressure guage (reminds me of "inches of Mercury"). I'll investigate a little more.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

#3024 -- A die for making a wooden screw?

Reply to
Bill

Correct

Nope, this one is for a purpose that would be difficult to guess

You are right that it's for working on axles

Reply to
Rob H.

3024. A die for making threads on wooden dowels. These were the screws for wooden vices and presses.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Correct, for use by a locksmith to remove broken keys

Reply to
Rob H.

It _is_ a wrench but not for spokes, though it is for use on tires but for a purpose that is not well known.

Reply to
Rob H.

You're probably on the right track about it being maritime.

Correct

Yes, the owner called it a rounding plane.

Reply to
Rob H.

Allow me to hang my head in shame, for missing this one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, the picture isn't very good, I wasn't sure if anyone would get it.

Reply to
Rob H.

After being a locksmith since 1986, I'd oughta got that. It did occur to me, but I wasn't familiar with those tips. I do use key extractors now and again, but not that design.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
3019: 3020: Spring weight? 3021: tools for assembling ships in a bottle? 3022: Heating and cooling vent cover? 3023: bicycle spoke wrench 3033: Dowel maker?
Reply to
mungedaddress

3019) An interesting device, and I'm going to make an assumption:

That the two tubes are joined in the bottom of the device, and may even be a single U-shaped tube (depending on what liquid medium is used in it.

The Joined tube makes a "manometer" which measures pressure by displaying a different height on the two columns of liquid. (You measure the heights of both, and subtract the lower from the higher.

If you are measuring a fairly high pressure, you would fill it with mercury (Hg), likely to the 1-1/2" level to allow maximum offset to be displayed. If mercury, the tube would pretty much have to be continuous, as mercury attacks brass.

If a lower pressure, use water (perhaps with a dye in it to enhance readability.

If yet lower -- go to something less dense, such as an alcohol.

Since it does not appear to have a fitting for connecting to something else, I'll suggest that it is intended to measure wind velocity -- by pointing the snout towards the wind.

3020) This is a "planimeter". It is used for measuring the enclosed

area of a figure on paper or another flat surface. (This can include areas of counties or states on a map, though the larger the area vs that of the planet, the more error is introduced by the choice of projection on the map.

I have one, and I seem to remember that you posted another some time back.

You place a pivot (the disc in the left of the box, which likely has three fine spikes to anchor it to the paper to avoid slipping), pivot an arm from that, and connect the part with the display to the first arm at another pivot (perhaps multiple pivot locations, if it has adjustable scale factors). Then, after zeroing the readout you trace the outline of the figure with a pointer, and when you return to the starting point, you can read the enclosed area. This one has a vernier to allow dividing the "tenths" divisions on the drum into "hundredths". The metal disk counts complete rotations of the drum.

Mine includes another disc with a pivoted arm which generates a specific area for a complete rotation of the arm, so you can check the accuracy of the reading.

3021) At first glance, these look like a lock picking set, but those would not need the grip of the rubber handles, so I will suggest that these are hooks for installing/removing springs in something like typewriters, calculators, or other mechanical devices (including, perhaps, old teletypewriters.)

3022) Looks like a table designed to clamp onto a vertical pole.

The shape of the cutout suggests square posts, but the clamp pieces seem to be for a particular range of round ones instead.

It might be to cover a hole around a gutter downspout.

3023) This appears to be for bending levers (likely for pre-Selectric typewriters). It looks like the gaps are 1/16" and 3/32", and the heads are way too thick for it to be an open-end wrench.

I'm curious about the 3/4" wide 6" scale. I've never seen one labeled "Sears" before. It looks like many others by many other companies. The two which I have in my belt pouch are from "General" and "Etched Products Corporation", and the former looks like a match except for the name and the part number.

3024) This looks like a tool for turning a round tenon on the end of something made of wood -- given the size, perhaps a spar for sailing ships, or perhaps some of the rigging for drawing a wagon by a team of horses.

Now to post this and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols