What is it? Set 509

I need some help with 2966 and 2968 this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
The larger images can also be seen here:
http://imgur.com/a/tw8ie
Rob

2969 -- Cricket cage, used to keep them for fishing bait
--
Ed Huntress

2965 is a bottle opener 2966 looks like the inking platen of an old printing press
Lloyd

Bottle opener is correct.
I couldn't find an inking platen like 2966 on the the web so I'm still not sure about this one
Den 05-09-2013 12:41, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh skrev:

I'll second this.
Years ago I've made some of these :-)
--
Uffe

Correct

2968 is an underscribe used to mark seams in hard vinyl flooring , edge cuts on lam-in-place formica countertops , etc . The bottom pin rides the edge , the top needle is adjusted for which function . The slider is reversed in that picture , the needle should be right above the guide pin . -- Snag Floor mechanic for 15 yrs+ .

Thanks, sounds like a good use for it.

2966 a Hand Cranked Flat Lap?
Crazy Ed
2967 is a type of Cole drill used to drill railroad rails for connector plates
Paul K. Dickman

Rob H. wrote:

2970 looks like the end piece for an old wooden singletree.
--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical

This answer is correct.
2966 - A Hand Cranked Flat Lap?
Crazy Ed

(spade like) bits is bottom right. The hooks grab the rail head to support and position, as well as providing bearing for the feed.
Good answer, it was marked "railroad drill" with asking price of $95.
I'm glad to say that both unidentified items were solved this week, the answers along with an update from the previous set have been posted here:
Rob

I've no quibble with the identification, but there something about that rail drill that doesn't look any earlier than around the middle of the last century. I'd have expected them to have been motorised by then.
On 9/7/13 3:26 AM, Dr Nick wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/57118042 This guy says he started on the railroad in 1976. He didn't see them used, but his father may have.
Western-Cullen-Hayes still makes manual rail drills. http://www.wch.com/bdrill.htm
Rob H.:

Regarding 2967, I'd just like to note that although welded rail is indeed the norm on heavily used main lines, and is being used more and more widely, jointed track held together with fishplates is still anything but rare today.
Of course that doesn't mean that this particular tool is still needed much!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Rocket, 1829: The first 30 mph train.
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net TGV-A, 1989: The first 300 mph train.