What is it? Set 508

Page 1 of 3
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
2963 looks like it may be a casting mold pattern for foundry casts.. possibly half of a full pattern, because of the half-round feature on the one side, adjacent to a flat surface.
--
WB

Correct, I've previously posted several other sand casting patterns but never got any answers for what the parts were specifically for.

2964: Is a Dyna Jet model pulse jet engine. Had several as a kid, and firmly believe they're why my hearing isn't 100%.
Most had red anodized aluminum head (venturi) assemblies, and were marked under the name 'Dyna Jet Red Head'.
They were so loud they (literally) gave my dad nose bleeds...
Erik
On 8/29/2013 4:38 AM, Erik wrote:

Yep, agreed... loud and hot...
--
Jeff

Yes, I had heard that ear plugs are recommended when operating one.

2964 is a model pulse-jet.
--
Ed Huntress

2959 Guess... Peat cutter
2963 Toilet bowl mold core.
2964 Agree with E & E that this is a jet engine. To be very picky about answer language... This is a real engine used for model planes.
On 8/29/2013 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob H. wrote:

2960 Ring stamp for stamping the karat inside a ring. From the width it might well be for 'sterling'.
--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical

Correct, I took a photo of the stamp but it turned out really blurry, I can read 14K but not the text before that. The top half of this image is my original photo, the lower half has been mirrored to make it easier to read. Can anyone tell me what the other text says?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album18/pic2960a.jpg
"Rob H." wrote in message

Rob looking here http://www.stevendifranco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id &Itemidv about 2/3 of the way down (search 18K HGE) I know that it is 14kbut this may be the answer
This one can be confusing to someone who doesn't have any experience at jewelry karat markings. The "HGE" , "GE", or "HG" stands for hard gold electroplated, the 18k refers to the type of plating, not that the piece of jewelry is actually 18k gold. In other words, a piece of jewelry that is stamped 18k HGE is gold plated costume jewelry with little or no value
Robin

Thanks, I think you are correct that HG is what is on the stamp.
Five of the six were correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:
Rob

2964 Was not used on RC (Radio Control) planes but on (U control) better known as control line planes.

Just fixed my answer. Thanks

better

Rob, If I can find my copy of the 1950s Popular Mechanics Junior Do-it- yourself Encyclopedia, I'll scan the plans for "Little Torchy", and send them to you. It would be a nice adjunct to the commentary on the DynaJet engines.
It's in a box, somewhere...
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Found the article online Lloyd, suspend your search! it's from the May 1949 issue of Popular Mechanics:
http://books.google.com/books?id=I9kDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepa ge&q&flse
Article begins on page 206. (It may take a little while to load...)
Back in the day, pulse jets were flown almost exclusively control line, and were really finicky to start & keep running.
Each and every 'pulse' is dependent on the one preceding it for a fuel/air charge. If a tiny fuel bubble or whatever causes a single 'miss' the engine instantly stops. There is no 'inertia' I guess you could call it.
There were more exotic fuel blends than you can imagine, some containing ether, benzine and whole hosts of other nasty stuff. Lots of custom reed valve retainers, flowjectors, metering jets and on and on. Few people agreed on any aspect of them. (My experience was c. mid to late 60's)
However, if you search YouTube, there seems to be some folks now flying them R/C with little if any of start/run issues of yore... they've made a lot of progress, thats for sure. Some are still flying them C/L speed as well.
I bet with 100' of altitude, one of the damn things could be plainly heard five miles distant... upwind in a stiff breeze.
Erik

id=I9kDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&flse
HAH! Rob, there you go! That's the same article in my encyclopedia, complete with the takeoff carriage!
That should do a lot to 'fill in the blanks' on the DynaJet.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

There's a lot more out there on the engines themselves... try this for starters:
https://www.google.com/#q=dynajet+pulse+jet&revid 0802588&safe=off
Erik
2959, toe nail file for elephants. 2960, cold chisel made by the Artistic Brothers Tools. 2961, wall mount holder for fencing class. 2962, factor rep demo of a furnace heat exchanger. 2963, model of French building from 1500s era. 2964, chalice carried by a reform priest in the 1960s.
I hope someone knows some of these, I am seriously, totally, clueless.
On 8/29/2013 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Thanks, Rob. This is one of the few things on usenet that is really worth my time. Wish I knew what any of the items was / were!