What is it? Set 505

Page 2 of 2
On 8/12/13 7:07 AM, Rob H. wrote:

for a coal grate. The first time, it's undocumented hearsay that the knights were called Bilston Knights. The second time, an expert said lots of companies produced knights for hearths. He called a particular one a Bilston knight because it was produced at a Bilston Ltd. factory that ran from the 1940s to 1958. That knight is not pictured.
The article says the three knights purchased in the 1960s were sold new as knickknacks without tools. Ebay shows a knight identical to the mystery item, with the tools. UK residents would understand the purpose of the tools. Americans might not.
In New England, fireplaces were for wood. In North Carolina, my 19th-century house has four rooms with coal fireplaces. Several other houses around here, including one built in the 1940s, are like that. An open coal fire would heat a room in this climate. I suppose New Englanders relied on stoves or central heat. Tools that would fit in the knight would be too small for a wood fire but would probably be just right for a coal grate.

I agree that the shorter tools would be better for a coal fire than wood, though as mbuck mentioned, the ad does say the grate is for "all types of fuel". Besides wood, peat, and coal, I don't know what other fuel they would burn. I would guess that coal would be the main fuel for the Bilston Knight grate, but the word coal is not found once in the entire article. I suppose the bottom line is that the tools are better suited for a small fire of any type as opposed to a large wood fire.
On 8/13/13 6:21 AM, Rob H. wrote:

take it for granted that you must drive on the wrong side of the road and burn coal in a fireplace.
I don't see how one could build an all-night wood fire on something as small as the Bilston Knight grate. It takes a big load of wood to produce coals for a long fire. The fireplaces needs a big throat for the draft necessary to burn off the volatiles. The big throat sucks so much air that in Massachusetts and Vermont, using the fireplace made houses colder. I guess that's why the houses down here were built with coal fireplaces even though plenty of firewood was available.
(I changed my name to The Other J Burns because in another group I was confused with another J Burns.)

Sounds good, I'm convinced, looks like you nailed this one.
Rob

2945 - Conical slips for sharpening curved blades, as on scythes, pruners, etc.
--
Ed Huntress

"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help with the second item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
2943 A measuring spoons holder? WW
On 8/8/2013 4:07 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The helmet seems to hinge, and it looks to me like some sort of receptacle is missing from the back. As a (really) wild guess, some sort of lemon squeezer?

Yes, the helmet does hinge, the link on my site goes to an ebay page for a similar device, apparently a fireplace poker can be placed under the helmet for easy access. The knight in my photos didn't have any tools with it, so I wasn't sure of purpose of the pivoting helmet until I found the ebay link.
On 8/8/13 4:07 AM, Rob H. wrote:

palace had real knights for toilet attendants. Each of the 78 toilets required 4 knights each working 42 hours a week, for a total of 312.

#2942 -- Maybe it's the main part of a fire extinguisher?
Bill
Bill wrote:

Read the first comment here (suggests "X" indicates experimental):
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/41563-rarest-vintage-fire-extinguisher-youve
Bill wrote:

I suspect X might mean "discharged". I could not confirm.

OK... I don't know what to call them, but this looks like it's supposed to hold the tools you'd use for mixing alcoholic beverages.
I'll call it bar kitsch.