What is it? Set 504

Page 2 of 2
On 8/2/2013 11:25 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Perhaps a tester to determine the concentration of anti-freeze in radiator fluid.
Kevin Gallimore

2940
Soil core auger?

2937
From the wear, I'd guess a crack weeder.

I'll bet that's it! Lloyd

Sounds like a good use for it but once again I couldn't confirm it on the web.
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

This one isn't a gauge

On this one it's not the inside of the loops that hold the tools.

Nope, there is something in it, but it's not really a container for anything.

I was thinking maybe it was for clay, it's probably missing its wooden handle.

Sample corer is right but it's not for soil.

    Posting this cross-posted followup from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
2935)    Intersting. without the swining arms and stop screw, it looks     like something designed to scribe and break glass panes. A bit     older than the ones with hardened rollers for scribing the     glass. The notches *are* of varying thickness, are they not?
    The arms might be for following a guide to produce a straight     scribe (better/easier breaks than a curved line).
    It could benefit from a wooden handle on the far end.
2936)    A wall mounted rack for hanging something like screwdrivers or     perhaps drill bits for wood.
2937)    Length?
    I think that it is a tool for cutting back grass at the edge of     a concrete sidewalk. A foot steps on the straight edge to drive     it into the soil/grass.
2938)    Perhaps a tool for dispensing a single drop of oil onto some     tool?
    Not really enough detail for any better guess.
2939)    No real guess -- except perhaps for something for chopping up     vegetable matter? Cyclic motion applied to the projection to     the side, and a chain going up from the eye to hold it vertical?
2940)    Sorry -- no guess.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2939 My best guess at this is a poleaxe (pole axe or pollax). A barbaric but efficient tool used in the slaughter of livestock. I have a couple which are not too dissimilar in design. AFAIK, the use of them in UK was banned in the 1930's. Nick.

Sounds possible, I'll add this to the list of suggestions for this tool and then send them on to the owner of it.