What is it? Set 503

Hopefully this won't be a double post but I'm not seeing the one I made two hours ago.

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I didn't see the earlier post.

2929 Comb for some tough coarse fibrous material. (hemp?)

2931 Beehive boxes for an environment where it is important to assure no tampering with the hives???

2932 Horn. Steam foghorn? Siren?

2933 Map route measuring device. I have one of these, in cheap plastic. The little wheel at the lower right is geared to a full-face dial indicator on the other side. You roll it along a route on a map and read total distance.

2934 Pieces of pretty-much-standard chain conveyor belt. What is unusual about these?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2929 a hand operated device for carding wool

2933 is a percussion cap box , which is als0 used to place the a percussion cap on the nipple of a caplock firearm

2934 conveyor chain
Reply to
Bluey69

Ok I know 2934 looks like the belt conveyor for an industrial washing machine we had one at an old job and was used for washing machined metal parts.

Hopefully this won't be a double post but I'm not seeing the one I made two hours ago.

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Robin Halligan

2929 is for cleaning/dressing buffing wheels when they get loaded. I've got one in the workshop.
David Billington

I'm sure Bluey69 is right and I was wrong. For reference, what I was talking about is a "chartometer".

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2929 is a buffing rake. it is used to remove excess buffing compound from cloth buffing wheels. 2933 is a capper for holding percussion caps and putting them on the nipples of a cap and ball revolver.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Rob H.:

2931 - For putting rented beehives into?

2934 - Conveyor belts.

Reply to
Mark Brader

It's unusual if you aren't familiar with it.

Reply to
Gonadicus

2929 - Buffing wheel rake. I've got two of these ... When the wheel gets too loaded with buffing compound, I clean it with the rake and apply fresh compound.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

2934 Delivery Conveyor for hamburger patties over an open flame at Burger King. ;!)
Reply to
Leon

2931 Fireworks storage units
Reply to
Leon

Correct, I'm told it's called hook chain.

Not much, but in the nine years that I've been doing this site these are the only chain conveyors that I've seen that were not hooked up to a machine.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, the patent for it is from 1839.

Reply to
Rob H.

I haven't seen any industrial washing machines recently so I'll take your word for it, they are also used on harvesting equipment.

Reply to
Rob H.

Didn't realize they still made these, for some reason I thought it might be an antique.

Reply to
Rob H.

2929) Perhaps a flax card -- or something similar for other natural fibers?

Rather painful as a back scratcher. :-)

2330) Looks like something to clamp a picture frame of the like while gluing.

2331) Strange. If the front were more beat up, I would think that it might be some kind of firearms skills targets.

But there really does not seem to be too much obvious to me that they could be used for -- unless they are used to store something during some kind of event and empty the rest of the time.

2332) A forghorn -- either on a watercraft or on a lighthouse.

2333) A dispenser for some component of ammunition for a muzzle-loading firearm. Not sure whether it is powder (a bit small for that I think), or patches, or balls (projectiles).

Given how small it is, it may be the finer powder for the pan of a flintlock rifle.

Or -- it could be caps.

It appears to be missing some nose piece which controls the distribution of whatever it is.

But Colt was (and is) a major firearms manufacturer.

2334) Looks like temporary traction over mud. Either laid down as a pair of tracks, or something formed in loops over the front and rear tires to work like the tracks on a tank.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I thought, "Of course!"

But then...

I'd expect fireworks boxes to have rain-shedding roofs. I'd expect them to have air circulation below to keep the insides dry. By the look of the door, they seem to be simple plywood enclosures. White plywood boxes of fireworks surrounded by a chain link fence on an open field would invite mischief by vandals with firearms.

It's peculiar that the numbers are on the opposite side from the doors, and they're too small to read from across the field. The door seems to have a handle on the inside. Why would somebody want to go in and shut the door?

The pole appears to be about 6" in diameter and 25' high. Why would it have been erected?

Reply to
j Burns

j Burns fired this volley in news:kssd84$gs1$1@dont- email.me:

Display fireworks must be stored in a minimum of a Type 4 magazine. Plywood boxes don't even come close to the required metal or masonry construction required for a Type 4. Consumer fireworks require no kind of magazine at all, and would normally just be stored in a locked warehouse.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thought I've never seen any up close, they reminded me of the boxes that might be used in throwing birds in skeet shooting. Maybe the tall pole is a wind vane?

Bill

Reply to
Bill