What is it? Set 502

I need some help on the fifth item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Got one! 2923 is part of a manual-feed slide projector. The trough holds a tray of slides, with one slot for each slide and one side open so they can slide out horizontally. The moving parts are best seen in the last picture, which shows them in mid-motion. The top and bottom bars are guides and the middle one serves to push the slide into the projector. Inside the projector the top and bottom bars are connected to another middle bar that pushes the slide out. To advance to the next slide you pull the knob out all the way and then push it back in again. This also rotates a gear (seen in the top photo) that engages a rack on the bottom edge of the tray, advancing the tray by one position. The gray square is a shutter that is opened to let the projection beam through; it might be manually controlled as well, or it might be triggered by the changer mechanism somehow.

In 2924 the insulators seem to mark it as a high-power electrical installation of some kind -- maybe a switching station of some kind, not yet connected to the power lines?

As usual, no idea on the rast.

Reply to
Mark Brader
2923 I agree with MB on this.

2924 Guess... Test facility, to apply high electric fields or lightning to a missile.

2925 Seems to be intended to slit or split the end of a specific size dowel. I've no idea of what the specific purpose is.

2928 To ram a cork into a long necked, large wine bottle???

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

2923 is a slide gate and cassette tray for an old cassette-style slide projector. 2924 ?Grounding array for an antenna of some sort? Perhaps as EMP protection? Of for an ELF transmitter? That control tower looks to have a substantial bunker beneath it. 2925 Cable jacket strippers.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Posting from my desktop PC as always.

2923, toy tollgate for toy cars. The black thing is the camera window so that the state PD can mail out tickets for talking on cell phone, etc. 2924, some kind of power grid distribution network. The insullators give it away. 2925, cigar cutter, or possibly insullation stripper. 2926, blood lancet designed for use at blood drives at factories and warehouses. The drop of blood is then used to check for iron content before the donor donates with this:
2927, no clue.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The rest look pretty weird this week!

Reply to
Rodwell

2924. I have seen similar in Houston. Like this one, a stand alone unit with no visible connection to anything. I was always under the assumption that it was a training/practice installation for linesmen. Similar to the tall small buildings that firemen train/practice with. 2925. Insulation stripper.
Reply to
Leon

2923 Slide tray mechanism

2924 Power substation/ switching station

2925

2926 Hammer to knock out cattle and blade to slice throat

2927

2928 Jig to crown a gun barrel

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Correct. Good description of it!

You are on the right track here.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Intended to slit" is right, though the work piece is usually not referred to as a dowel.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

That's it! The switches were for the Voice of America antennas in SW Ohio, not actually sure if it's grounding related or not.

According to the owner it's not for use on cable.

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking1 as always.

2923) An adaptor to run a magazine of 35mm slides through a projector originally designed for being fed one at a time. Not sure which, but it may be one of the early Leica (Leitz) projectors.

It could be a stack loader, not for magazines, but I don't see the pusher and follower.

2924) It looks like a switching station for electrical power distribution, but I don't see the power feeds into and out of it. Perhaps the lines are buried underground?

Or it could be an intersting and directional antenna array of some sort -- really high power given the size of the insulators.

2925) This looks like a tool for stripping the insulation on a heavy (likely rubber) jacketed electrical cord. Possibly telephone line drop cord.

Spread the two handles, slip the wire in from the T-bar end, close the handles, hook the fingers into the hooks, and pull.

2926) For puncturing a sheet metal container, I think. Maybe for starting modification openings to housings for HVAC equipment. (I've seen someone use a screwdriver for the purpose. :-) Not exactly a neat hole, but sufficient to the purpose.

2927) Looks like it is intended to puncture and fold back a part of the metal top of a container -- perhaps something like the old automotive oil cans.

And it might slide down an upright rod in a table, which would make it for puncturing something like juice cans -- V8 or the like.

2928) I think that this is a tool for drilling holes in the upper end of furniture legs -- for mounting to the furniture via dowels and glue.

The wood part actually looks like a beat up leg blank which has been modified to serve as part of a clamp.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2926 - roofing tool/hammer for shingles. Poss. magnetic. Nick.
Reply to
Nick
2925 - A Tool for splitting a branch for Grafting?

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck
2625 - A tool for splitting a branch for Grafting ?

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck

Roofing hammer is correct. The answers for this set can be seen at the link below, though I'm still not 100% sure about the fifth one:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yeah, some of them are kind of strange looking, but you should see the ones that are too weird for the site. People have sent in around twenty or thirty items that I considered too odd to post.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob, what do you prefer to have people do when they have something you might be interested in?

I have some that apply specifically to small-shop machining, but which are old or odd. Some, or maybe many members here will recognize them, I think, but they're intesting nonetheless. You may or may not find them worthwhile, but they should interest RCM members.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I would be happy to look at photos of whatever you have, you can send them to my email address which can be found on my profile page. A link to my profile is located a little below the last photo in each week's set.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your machining items. Everyone else here is also welcome to send in some pictures, I'm always in need of things to post.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

OK, and thanks. I'll get to it as soon as the temperature drops below

98F.
Reply to
Ed Huntress