What is it? Set 498

Page 1 of 2
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2903. corner chisel. Used to make 90 degree cut at the corner of an inset, such as is made to set a hinge. The bevel is to the inside of the angle, if it were on the outside, it would be a BAV (Big Awesome Veiner)
lektric dan says...

Corner chisel is correct.
On 6/20/13 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

third a plumb level. (The spirit level was invented in 1661 and became common in the 19th Century.)

Yes, I was told the first two were plumb squares, I never got a name for the third but plumb level sounds good to me.
On 6/20/13 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

of fuel oil. That way, they'd know if they were getting the kind of oil they paid for. The density might also have told them how to set their boilers. If it ever came unscrewed, it might have been for the manufacturer to add a certain amount of lead.
On 6/20/13 5:24 AM, j Burns wrote:

I'm inspired with another guess! A pin to hold a watertight door open! Doors on a freighter should normally be left closed for protection from fire and sinking. If a ship's officer goes into a compartment and closes the door behind him, they may be unable to find him if they need him. Besides, he may want fresh air. So he carries a pin on a fob with his initials. Then crewmen know the door was intentionally left open, and they can find him quickly.
If the captain sees the officer without his fob on his uniform, he knows the officer has left a door pinned open. Maybe the captain saved this one as a keepsake from a friend with the initials SE.

2899 - Marking gauge for multiple settings ... Appears to be craftsman made
2903 - Corner chisel for cleaning out mortises .... Here are some high end ones:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=corner
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0011&cat=1,41504,41541&ap=1
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Correct, I had seen a similar tool but it had only one setscrew for multiple gauges.
On 6/20/2013 12:50 PM, Rob H. wrote:

This was the first thing that I thought about when I saw this tool. Since no one else has mentioned the Lee Valley version, here it is:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pQ633&cat=1,42936
Note: Check page two of its description.
Dan

Pretty funny, they have some good products, good to see they have a sense of humor.
On 6/21/2013 3:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

AFD pages. A lot of work went into their preparation.
2899, multiple probe depth gage. beyond that, no ide what is the use. 2900, don't know. 2901, don't know. 2902, don't know. 2903, probably a chisel for cutting wood doors, for mortise locks. 2905, don't know. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2899 Marking Gauge. Maintains five settings. 2901 Plumb Bob 2902 Trammel points 2903 Corner Chisel

This answer is correct.
On 6/20/2013 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

repeat.
2904. A noise maker, put a piece of card stock in the clip and spin it around to make noise on New years or some festive occasion.
--
Jeff

Rob H. wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 Ignorance can be cured -- but stupid

Razor blade sharpener is correct, my link in the answer for this one shows the missing leather stropper that goes on the round piece.
Still not sure about the second item but the rest of them were all answered correctly.
Rob
Posting from my desk top PC as always.
Thanks, Rob. That's a lot of fun. I learn a bit, too. What's the payback? How many resharpens does it take to cover the cost of the tool?
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Razor blade sharpener is correct, my link in the answer for this one shows the missing leather stropper that goes on the round piece.
Still not sure about the second item but the rest of them were all answered correctly.
Rob

This isn't my tool so I don't have an answer for you, I guess razor blades used to be more expensive because there were a lot of sharpeners on the market.