What is it? Set 497

I will not be posting the answers until this weekend and I'm not sure if I'll have access to a computer over the next few days. This week's set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2896 Pawl. Ok, I realize this answer isn't particularly helpful. Sorry.

2898 Sure looks like a harpoon head.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2893 Spark Plug Wrench?

Tool Mystery looks like a rubber stitcher to me. Looks like what they use at my work to stitch 2 sheets of rubber together to form continuous rubber sheets and strips.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

2893 Lug Wrench
Reply to
NamPhong

I thought that but a 6" long lug wrench with no leverage lead me to go back to my original thought of a spark plug wrench.

Reply to
Leon

2893 spark plug wrench

2894 brackets for mending 2 shelving units together.

2896 Brake lever on swivel wheel.

2897 Tool for wrapping Christmas lights on, or light extension cord.

2898 Harpoon tip
Reply to
woodchucker

O.K. As usual, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

2893) Looks like a compact lug-nut wrench for storing in a car with the jack and the spare tire. It might also fit the jack for cranking up (and down) the car. 2894) This looks like something for joining two nearly parallel surfaces with slots which include something for the hooks to grab. It looks to me as though when you tighten the wing nut, the two hooks are pulled together. to grip the object surfaces firmly to the 'T' pieces. 2895) Some kind of storage container. The lid fits into the open top and turning the propeller bar causes the four diagonal bars to extend through the corner slots, and then the four thumbscrews clamp the lid firmly to the inner container. Since it is a double-walled container, it suggest some degree of thermal insulation between the inside and the outside. 2896) Part of a very simple latch -- but not very strong. 2897) Looks like a tool for rotating a fairly large diameter ring, but not capable of producing much torque. 2898) That looks like the business end of a harpoon -- as used in whale harvesting way back when. Back when it was a closer to even game as to who would win.

It looks like there is a single rivet which would allow the head to rotate and lock in the wound in the whale, so it would not pull out easily.

There should be a long heavy wooden handle back some distance along the fairly small diameter shank.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
2895 - WWII era 40mm ammunition storage can.

I will not be posting the answers until this weekend and I'm not sure if I'll have access to a computer over the next few days. This week's set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
FTG

#2897 Looks like it would be handy for holding a vehicle tire open to assist in repairing it from the inside, i.e. to help fix a flat.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I saw some similar-featured tools on Google searching "tire spreader tool".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

For "Tool Mysteries":

2624 looks like a "Strike Plate" for something like a jail cell door, openable from the outside using the handle.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
2893, some kind of wrench. Maybe spark plugs. 2894, the hooks look like they would work with prefab shelves. Beyond that.... no clue. 2895, some kind of container with seal. Maybe for medical samples, for the medical delivery guys to pick up? 2896, reminds me a bit of an engine stopping device, for lawn mowers. Short out the spark plug end. 2897, slightly resembles an extension cord winding reel. 2898, tip of a seal harpoon.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
2895: Container for mortar shells. Holds four. The local surplus place has a stack of them.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Good job, shorting clip is right.

The rest of them have all been correctly identified, the answers have been posted here:

Back to the normal schedule for the next set, thanks for everyone's patience this week!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.