Rob H. wrote:

Guess: #2890-- knife sharpener?
Bill
On 6/6/13 3:56 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2887: prison cell key?

Correct
"Rob H." wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- Just looked at key again.
The handle is marked "Van Dorn" which identifies the old Van Dorn Iron Works on E79th St, in Cleveland, Ohio.
Van Dorn got out of the jail business and got into the injection molding machine business.
Lew
On 6/06/2013 3:56 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2889 transmitter output valve or old high power rectifier?

Rectifier is correct.
2887, not seen one of these ever. My gut sense, it's a key to a police call box. Perhaps to fire alarm box. 2888, don't know. 2889 2890 2891 2892, possibly an old AM receiver, with the three vacuum tubes? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
A new set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

I think that this is right but I haven't been able to find another one like it.

2888 -- A trip hammer for cutting lengths of wire?
2892 -- A vacuum-tube bridge?
--
Ed Huntress

On 6/6/13 9:40 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

It looks as if the knob on the left would lift it a small, precise amount before letting it fall. Also, the lower "cutting" face is blunt.
Sometimes I've wanted to bend a piece of wire, such as a nail, sharply at a precise spot. Flattening it a precise amount at the exact spot would do the trick, although it might have to be heated after hammering if hammering hardened the material.

That sounds reasonable. Flattening, rather than cutting, looks more like the design intent of that little hammer.
--
Ed Huntress

Hello All,
If #2887 has a telescopic shaft it may be a key for a security-vault.
Am 06.06.2013 09:56, schrieb Rob H.:

2888 Saw tooth setting device?
On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:31:56 -0400, Paul Tuttle

Aha! I'll bet you're right.
--
Ed Huntress

Yes, according to the owner that's what it is.
Rob H. wrote:

2887 Jail cell key.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

    Still cross-posting, so posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
2887)    Looks like a key for a safe set in the floor.
    You insert it in the lid, turn to unlock, and then use the     handle to lift it out.
2888)    Looks like a tool for cutting round bar stock -- steel or     other strong metals.
    The V-notches to either side hold the workpiece at the proper     height.
    The square headed screw adjusts the position of the bottom     chisel so it is just in contact with the workpiece (adjusts for     the diameter of the workpiece).
    The upper chisel is allowed to rest on the top of the workpiece,     or is held a bit above it by the spring.
    Then it is struck by a sledgehammer to cut the workpiece.
    I was at first thinking that it was a blacksmith's tool, but if     so, I would expect to see signs of charring when the hot     workpiece was held in contact with the wooden V positioners.
    Hmm ... turning the handle at the back would lift the     hammer/chisel clear and then allow it to drop -- but I don't     think that it is heavy enough for that to be practical.
2889)    looks like early experimental cathode-ray tubes. Perhaps two     deflection pins coming out at right angles, and the electron gun     at the other angle.
2890)    Looks like some sort of sliding knob -- but not clear what it     was a part of -- other than something relatively recent in terms     of what shows up at this site. :-) Injection molded rather     bright colored plastic.
2891)    Looks like tools to be operate by two men -- sliding along a     surface -- perhaps to separate grain or something similar.
2892)    An early vacuum-tube radio. External batteries for the     filaments (likely a single zinc-carbon cell) and a number of     cells for the higher plate voltages. There may be a small     three-cell zinc-carbon battery built inside which serves as a     bias voltage for the grids, and thus has very little current,     and lasts a very long time.
    Toggle switch near the bottom left corner to switch the     filaments on and off. The high voltage probably does not need     to be switched with circuits as simple as these -- when the     filaments stop glowing, the current fro the high voltage stops.
    The small knob at the bottom of the central object is the tuning     knob, and the frequency scale is visible at the opposite end.
    A little more compact than the one which I used to have --     decades ago. And it was split into two parts -- the radio tuner     (Regenartive with adjustable coupling, and a separate box for     the audio amplifier. Probably five tubes between them.
    The wires at the center back probably go to the batteries, and     the upper binding post terminals are for speaker or headphones     and for the antenna. (If I were in the other browser, so I     could get the "Larger image" to work, I would probably be able     to read what is printed on the knobs.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
As I also mention on the site, I'll be posting on Wednesday morning next week.