What is it? Set 495

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the fifth item in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
On 30/05/2013 6:08 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2886 glass lens from a railway signal hand lamp

Correct

Ok thanks, I just changed my answer, it had been marked as being a railroad lamp globe and I didn't do any further research after finding the one I had linked to earlier.
I usually check all three newsgroups but occasionally I get really busy and only check one of them, which was the case last week, so I didn't see your posts until today.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

I have two antique railroad lanterns. Both have ruby red globes.
--
 GW Ross

 You're not really drunk if you can
Perhaps these are actually caboose lanterns??? (snip)

mungedaddress wrote:

I have one like the one at the following link, which has a "lens" just like the one featured in this thread.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dietz-No-40-Traffic-Gard-Lantern-/330932994259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0d24c0d3
Is it a railroad lantern?
mungedaddress wrote:

Mung
Of course. Silly me to think that just because it has the Erie-Lackawana insignia embossed on it it is a railroad lantern.
--
 GW Ross

 I'm setting my phaser on 'tickle.'
    [ ... ]

    If I had known that you usually check all three newsgroups, I would not bother convincing my newsreader that I really want to follow up to three newsgroups -- and thus I could also leave out he "Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking" line. :-)
    But that still loses out on the feedback between the three newsgroups, which have different perspectives on the items being offered as puzzles. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yes, I think it works out better for everyone when all the groups are included in the replies. Thanks for bringing up the subject, I should have posted a reminder a while ago.
Rob
    [ ... ]

    Part of the problem is that continued cross-posting in threads is considered poor nettequette -- though nobody is going to agree on which newsgroup to followup in.
    And I'm not sure how many of today's newsreader programs (and browsers and e-mail clients playing at being newsreaders) would actually honor a "Followup-To: " header.
    And I've had to special case this, because mostly in rec.crafts.metalworking, things crossposted to three or more newsgroups are trolls or spam, and I normally automatically killfile them. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"Rob H." wrote:

2881 Pop Rivet tool.
Lew

Yes, or as the patent calls it, a rivet setting tool.
2881, too bad it's 9 1/4 inches long, I'd have said a Pop Rivetool. 2882, part of a helicopter. Or, a machinist's tobacco pipe holder. 2883, bar towel holder. 2884, magnetic nail holder. 2885, I suspect a shoe expander. For womens shoes that are a bit too tight. 2886, might be part of electrical insullator for the power company. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I need some help with the fifth item in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2881 Pop-rivet tool... looks to be missing the screw-in nosepiece
2882... Man! I think I've even held one of those in my hand... it looks SO familiar... can't place it now. It feels like something to do with vacuum apparatus...
2883 some sort of tension-held clamp; like a gravity clamp for brooms, but made for flat stock. It looks like it's of a size to hold a piece of 1" nom. lumber on the flat, hanging down vertically from the clamp.
2884 looks to be a ceramic roll stamp dispenser done in art-deco impression of a sitting frog. Of course, it could also be a very weird eyeglasses holder.
2885 not even a tickle
2886 looks to be a signal light lens (stackable annunciator columns have that sort of lenses in different colors.

Tension held clamp could be considered correct, though it isn't for wood.

Nope, not for stamps, nor any other desk/office use.
2881: Hand Riveter? 2882: Part of a fire hose?? 2883: Some sort of plane?? 2884: knife sharpener?? 2885: Archery aide??? 2886: Glass insert for Rail Road engineer lantern??
On 5/30/2013 4:38 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2881 Pop rivet tool 2883 Hanger, probably for a heavy coat or other fabric item. 2886 Globe for a lamp
Rob H. wrote:

2881 pop riveter 2886 lens for fire exit door
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

http://173.203.87.117/BioSurplusImages/aa6132_1.jpg
It is for a somewhat similar purpose, this particular model is actually quite famous and would be recognized by many people in the general public.